Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 3750's mixing EMI and SMI

Reply
Thread Tools

3750's mixing EMI and SMI

 
 
Brian V
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2004
Hey all,

Does anyone know what the results would be of mixing a stack of 3750 emi's
and smi's ?

Say you were to put the controller as an EMI, can you make the rest of the
stack smi's and maintain the emi capabilities....or does everything in the
stack need to be emi to do that?

Cisco link to back up the answer if you have it.

Thanks,
-Brian


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2004
I am using a 3550 with EMI and SMI's
I also have some 3548's in the stack.

Setup one port as a router on the EMI Switch. Configure your VLANS on the
EMI Switch with IP addresses on all VLANs. Setup the trunks to the other
swithes, Setup the VTP Domain the same on all switches....


"Brian V" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0BWVb.12525$032.44643@attbi_s53...
> Hey all,
>
> Does anyone know what the results would be of mixing a stack of 3750 emi's
> and smi's ?
>
> Say you were to put the controller as an EMI, can you make the rest of the
> stack smi's and maintain the emi capabilities....or does everything in the
> stack need to be emi to do that?
>
> Cisco link to back up the answer if you have it.
>
> Thanks,
> -Brian
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chris Thomas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2004
In article <0BWVb.12525$032.44643@attbi_s53>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Hey all,
>
> Does anyone know what the results would be of mixing a stack of 3750 emi's
> and smi's ?
>


At Networkers last year, the PM gave a 3750 session. He said mixed
emi/smi:
-- Isn't supported
-- Seems in general to work
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian V
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2004
Big difference between 3750's and 3550's or 3524/48's....

3750's connect via essentially a backplane connector creating a single
virtual switch with a 36gig backplane. Fairly new switch to Cisco's line.

3550's/2950's connect via a gbic/gigastack module, 1-2gig uplinks

I do agree with your statement 100% tho if they were 3550's !

Thanks anyways,
-Brian
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am using a 3550 with EMI and SMI's
> I also have some 3548's in the stack.
>
> Setup one port as a router on the EMI Switch. Configure your VLANS on the
> EMI Switch with IP addresses on all VLANs. Setup the trunks to the other
> swithes, Setup the VTP Domain the same on all switches....
>
>
> "Brian V" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0BWVb.12525$032.44643@attbi_s53...
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Does anyone know what the results would be of mixing a stack of 3750

emi's
> > and smi's ?
> >
> > Say you were to put the controller as an EMI, can you make the rest of

the
> > stack smi's and maintain the emi capabilities....or does everything in

the
> > stack need to be emi to do that?
> >
> > Cisco link to back up the answer if you have it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Brian
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian V
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2004
Heya Chris,

I heard the same thing last year...... hey, were you sitting next to me? You
the one that stole my damn mug?<G>

It appears that some things have changed tho...here's a link that I found
while doing some research after posting earlier:

emi/smi can be mixed/used in a stack.
emi should be the master
recomended that atleast 2 switchs in the stack be emi (to support redundent
emi)

Other than that I'm not finding too much on it....quite a big difference in
pricing of the switches. I'm really surprised there's not more out there on
it.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...ck.htm#1172299

Later,
Brian

"Chris Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> In article <0BWVb.12525$032.44643@attbi_s53>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Does anyone know what the results would be of mixing a stack of 3750

emi's
> > and smi's ?
> >

>
> At Networkers last year, the PM gave a 3750 session. He said mixed
> emi/smi:
> -- Isn't supported
> -- Seems in general to work



 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Thomas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2004
In article <X9ZVb.135934$U%5.642253@attbi_s03>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
>
> emi/smi can be mixed/used in a stack.
> emi should be the master
> recomended that atleast 2 switchs in the stack be emi (to support redundent
> emi)
>
> Other than that I'm not finding too much on it....quite a big difference in
> pricing of the switches. I'm really surprised there's not more out there on
> it.
>
> http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...ck.htm#1172299


Brian,
Thanks for the reference. It looks like they've changed their
support since Networkers. This is good -- I have several
applications where it would be cost-effective to mix emi and smi in a
stack.

What they seem to be saying for both EMI and crypto that if the
master fails, one will loose the EMI and/or crypto functionality
unless the backup also has these features. That seems reasonable.

/Chris
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3750 SMI and EMI images? thefunnel@aol.com Cisco 2 11-19-2005 01:10 PM
Need help clarifying SMI vs EMI on Catalyst 4507R and 3750G and comments on my config Ned Cisco 2 05-25-2005 11:43 AM
Re: Differences between 3550-24-SMI and 3550-24-EMI Steinar Haug Cisco 0 10-20-2003 02:59 PM
Differences between 3550-24-SMI and 3550-24-EMI JohnNews Cisco 10 10-20-2003 12:33 PM
Catalyst 3550 EMI Upgrade Kit (CD-3550-EMI=) problem! show version = SMI desdronox Cisco 1 07-10-2003 02:08 AM



Advertisments