Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Syslog messages

Reply
Thread Tools

Syslog messages

 
 
Christian Knoblauch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2004
Dear Forum,

I installed the new 12.3. Version on one of my 831er.
(c831-k9o3sy6-mz.123-4.T2.bin Version 12.3(4)T2) I am playing with
DMVPN.

I got the following messages from my syslog daemon, how do I have to
interpret them. This looks like an error in the NHRP implementation?!
Thank you!
Christian



02-09-2004 20:40:14 Local7.Critical 10.7.7.254 7334: -Process= "NHRP",
ipl= 0, pid= 96
02-09-2004 20:40:14 Local7.Critical 10.7.7.254 7333:
02-09-2004 20:40:14 Local7.Critical 10.7.7.254 7332: Alternate Pool:
None Free: 0 Cause: No Alternate pool
02-09-2004 20:40:14 Local7.Critical 10.7.7.254 7331: Pool: I/O Free:
8228 Cause: Memory fragmentation
02-09-2004 20:40:14 Local7.Critical 10.7.7.254 7330: 22:56:09:
%SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: Memory allocation of 4680 bytes failed from
0x800EEA7C, alignment 4
.........
%ALIGN-3-TRACE: -Traceback= 8055CA3C 80562ABC 80563988 80563AD4
805648C4 8016B8EC 801700B8 00000000
02-09-2004 20:39:47 Local7.Error 10.7.7.254 7315: 22:55:43:
%ALIGN-3-SPURIOUS: Spurious memory access made at 0x8055CA3C reading
0x34
02-09-2004 20:39:16 Local7.Critical 10.7.7.254 7314: -Traceback=
80176C14 80177E14 800EEA80 800EEF6C 800EFC1C 800F1CC4 80562174
80562584 80563970 80563AD4 805648C4 8016B8EC 801700B8
02-09-2004 20:39:16 Local7.Critical 10.7.7.254 7313: -Process= "NHRP",
ipl= 0, pid= 96
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Terry Baranski
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2004
On 9 Feb 2004 11:49:07 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Christian Knoblauch)
wrote:

>Dear Forum,
>
>I installed the new 12.3. Version on one of my 831er.
>(c831-k9o3sy6-mz.123-4.T2.bin Version 12.3(4)T2) I am playing with
>DMVPN.
>
>I got the following messages from my syslog daemon, how do I have to
>interpret them. This looks like an error in the NHRP implementation?!
>Thank you!
>Christian
>
>
>
>02-09-2004 20:40:14 Local7.Critical 10.7.7.254 7334: -Process= "NHRP",
>ipl= 0, pid= 96
>02-09-2004 20:40:14 Local7.Critical 10.7.7.254 7333:
>02-09-2004 20:40:14 Local7.Critical 10.7.7.254 7332: Alternate Pool:
>None Free: 0 Cause: No Alternate pool
>02-09-2004 20:40:14 Local7.Critical 10.7.7.254 7331: Pool: I/O Free:
>8228 Cause: Memory fragmentation
>02-09-2004 20:40:14 Local7.Critical 10.7.7.254 7330: 22:56:09:
>%SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: Memory allocation of 4680 bytes failed from
>0x800EEA7C, alignment 4


Looks like the router is almost out of free memory. "show proc mem"
can confirm.

-Terry
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Christian Knoblauch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2004
Hi!
> >02-09-2004 20:40:14 Local7.Critical 10.7.7.254 7330: 22:56:09:
> >%SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: Memory allocation of 4680 bytes failed from
> >0x800EEA7C, alignment 4

>
> Looks like the router is almost out of free memory. "show proc mem"
> can confirm.

yes, you are right, the router has no free memory any more after one
and a half day. It seems, that one of the processes doesn't deallocate
the memory any more.

I don't have a CCO account yet, are there bugfixes on the cisco
website or do I have to wait for the new release?

Best,
Christian
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Switzer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2004
There seems to be at least one bug, CSCed63477, that's similar -
837 boots and runs out of mem when using 12.3(6.2)T1 - but it
was junked, so I suspect that means the user needed more DRAM
memory to run the image. The IOS upgrade planner says 32MB is
the minimum for the c831-k9o3sy6-mz.123-4.T2.bin image, but I
bet that 48 MB is probably the real minimum. How much memory
does your 831 have?

Christian Knoblauch wrote:
> Hi!
>
>>>02-09-2004 20:40:14 Local7.Critical 10.7.7.254 7330: 22:56:09:
>>>%SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: Memory allocation of 4680 bytes failed from
>>>0x800EEA7C, alignment 4

>>
>>Looks like the router is almost out of free memory. "show proc mem"
>>can confirm.

>
> yes, you are right, the router has no free memory any more after one
> and a half day. It seems, that one of the processes doesn't deallocate
> the memory any more.
>
> I don't have a CCO account yet, are there bugfixes on the cisco
> website or do I have to wait for the new release?
>
> Best,
> Christian


 
Reply With Quote
 
Christian Knoblauch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2004
Hello!

> There seems to be at least one bug, CSCed63477, that's similar -
> 837 boots and runs out of mem when using 12.3(6.2)T1 - but it
> was junked, so I suspect that means the user needed more DRAM
> memory to run the image. The IOS upgrade planner says 32MB is
> the minimum for the c831-k9o3sy6-mz.123-4.T2.bin image, but I
> bet that 48 MB is probably the real minimum. How much memory
> does your 831 have?

I have only 32MB!

When I start the router I have more or less 5MB free memory, after two
days I have only 1.5MB left. Without using the router!

Best,
Christian
 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin Gallagher
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2004
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:15:25 -0800, Christian Knoblauch wrote:

>
> When I start the router I have more or less 5MB free memory, after two
> days I have only 1.5MB left. Without using the router!
>


Have a read of this and try and find out what's happening.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...800a6f3a.shtml

If you lose 1.75MB over a day, it shouldn't be too hard to see where it's
going.

--
Rgds,
Martin
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
perl 5.8.8 make test hangs on ext/Sys/Syslog/t/syslog................... indefinitely Bad Dog Perl Misc 0 08-09-2007 04:47 PM
is there any API available to implement Syslog server using Java (to capture all syslog messages - UDP protocol, port 514)? santa19992000@yahoo.com Java 2 06-20-2006 12:54 PM
Syslog replay script for centralized syslog host leroy isaac Perl Misc 1 10-29-2004 04:23 AM
IDS messages not showing up in syslog kenw@kmsi.net Cisco 4 01-05-2004 02:36 AM
Syslog messages repeated mikester Cisco 2 12-04-2003 06:44 PM



Advertisments