Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: libmysqld.dll & Python API seeking...

Re: libmysqld.dll & Python API seeking...

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=

JZ wrote:
> Is there any Python module working with embed MySQL 4.x? I found only
> C++ API with not working example from MySQL manual.

MySQLdb can be built against MySQL 4.x. It should be certainly possible
to make it work against the embedded version of MySQL. Last time I tried
the result was that at .connect time it crashed. But if you invest more
time than me (more than 2 minutes), you can probably get it working

-- Gerhard

JZ

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:50:48 +0200, Gerhard Häring <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>MySQLdb can be built against MySQL 4.x. It should be certainly possible
>to make it work against the embedded version of MySQL. Last time I tried
>the result was that at .connect time it crashed. But if you invest more
>time than me (more than 2 minutes), you can probably get it working

It is not so easy, because I need Win32 version of such MySQLdb I
try to compile the source using Bloodsheed DevC++ 4.9.8.1
(http://www.bloodshed.net/) but without result. I added header files
from Python 2.2.3 but it did not help.

=?ISO-8859-2?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=

JZ wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:50:48 +0200, Gerhard Häring <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>MySQLdb can be built against MySQL 4.x. It should be certainly possible
>>to make it work against the embedded version of MySQL. Last time I tried
>>the result was that at .connect time it crashed. But if you invest more
>>time than me (more than 2 minutes), you can probably get it working

> It is not so easy, because I need Win32 version of such MySQLdb I
> try to compile the source using Bloodsheed DevC++ 4.9.8.1
> (http://www.bloodshed.net/) but without result. I added header files
> from Python 2.2.3 but it did not help.

The problem is that you can't use MINGW to compile against the MySQL
libraries MySQL AB offers. AFAIC they reference LIBCMT while MINGW can
only work with MSVCRT.

There used to be MySQL binaries/libraries for Windows that were built
with a patched version of the MySQL sources and MINGW. Unfortunately,
these are no longer available.

That's why I still use MSVC6 to build the MySQLdb binaries on win32

Btw. the method to build MySQLdb is to use distutils. If you use
something else, you'd better know about your tools

If somebody manages to change MySQldb or its build process so that it
can link to the embedded version of MySQL (on a more developer-friendly
platform), I'll be happy to use this patch and create the corresponding
win32 binaries.

But I won't put much effort in this myself, because I personally have
exactly zero interest in MySQL. My only motivation for offering the
binaries is to promote Python as a language for MySQL users.

-- Gerhard