Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Python should try to displace Java

Re: Python should try to displace Java

Istvan Albert

still trolling eh,

but you try too hard and it shows,

Brandon J. Van Every

Istvan Albert wrote:
> still trolling eh,
>
> but you try too hard and it shows,

I asked you not to knee-jerk on what I wrote, but you couldn't do it. So
welcome to my killfile.

I didn't expect emotional idealists to handle it, that's why they're
emotional idealists. Pragmatic engineers can get on with whether the
strategic analysis has merit or not. I don't know what your corporate
culture is, sitting in newsgroups plotting the future of a nice open source
langauge. Maybe you think the whole world runs on volunteerism and good
vibes. But in the big iron corporate background I come from, people sit
down and have powwows about what the strategic threats are. You can deny
the existence of strategic threats all you like, and stay in a comfortable
universe of engineering merit. That will last until... commercial reality
washes over you and your career like a tidal wave.

Do you want to be earning good money on your Python knowledge 10 years from
now? Then pay attention. I guarantee you that Microsoft has powwows about
C#, Java, and Python.

--
Cheers, www.3DProgrammer.com
Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

20% of the world is real.

Michael Geary

> still trolling eh,
>
> but you try too hard and it shows,

I'm new to Python and new to this group, so I'm not familiar with any
previous discussions that have taken place. All I know about Brandon is what
he posted in this particular message.

As someone who has made the wrong bet on strategic directions more than a
few times in the 35 years that I've been developing software, I found his
comments, along with Doug's reply, to be interesting and thought-provoking.

I am being educated here. Is that what trolls do?

-Mike

Cliff Wells

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 23:31, Michael Geary wrote:

> I am being educated here. Is that what trolls do?

Only if you're interested in social engineering.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)