Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: problem updating(run) to python2.2

Re: problem updating(run) to python2.2

Peter van Kampen

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, grid wrote:
> i have Debian,
> i have python2.1 and when installing python2.2, i run "$/python ",but pc
> run's python2.1.How can i overcome this problem?
>
> thanks

$python2.2

(on woody)

Hth,

PterK

--
Peter van Kampen
pterk -- at -- datatailors.com

John J. Lee

Peter van Kampen <(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl> writes:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, grid wrote:
> > i have Debian,
> > i have python2.1 and when installing python2.2, i run "$/python ",but pc
> > run's python2.1.How can i overcome this problem?
> >
> > thanks
> >

> $python2.2
>
> (on woody)

/usr/bin/python on Debian is a link to the latest version of Python
installed from a .deb. IIRC, the .debs makes a soft link from
/usr/bin/python, and the Python source tarball makes a hard link
/usr/local/bin/python.

So if you want 'python' to mean something different, you could just rm
/usr/bin/python, then re-link to whichever version you want to run.
Watch out -- /usr/local/bin may be ahead of /usr/bin in your PATH, and
if you installed your 2.2 from the Python source tarball rather than a
..deb, you may have a /usr/local/bin/python too.

ls -i is useful to tell if two files are really hard links to the same
underlying file. ls -l on my system shows the target of soft links.

John