Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > email client written with python + wxWindows

email client written with python + wxWindows

Shagshag

hello,

does anyone know of a full python + wxWindows email client ?

google didn't help me...

thanks,

Cliff Wells

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 23:11, Shagshag wrote:

> does anyone know of a full python + wxWindows email client ?

Mahogany isn't written in Python but it has an embedded Python
interpreter and it most definitely uses wxWindows:

http://mahogany.sourceforge.net/index.html

Regards,

--
They suffocate in an alarming embrace
-Dead Can Dance

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=

Shagshag wrote:
> hello,
>
> does anyone know of a full python + wxWindows email client ?

There is one, but if you ask about my personal opinion, it's n ybnq bs penc.

> google didn't help me...

http://www.google.de/search?q=wxpython+email+client

First hit. rzMail.

Mahogany has support for Python scripting in the sourcecode, but AFAIR
it hasn't been updated for years. It's written in C++ using wxWindows,
but contrary to rzMail it's actually useful :->

-- Gerhard

Oren Tirosh

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:11:52PM -0700, Shagshag wrote:
> hello,
>
> does anyone know of a full python + wxWindows email client ?

The Chandler project from the Open Source Applications Foundation contains
a mail client, calendar and other collaboration tools. It's written in
Python and wxWindows.

http://osafoundation.org/our_product_desc.htm

It's just at version 0.1, though.

Oren

Gary Bishop

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:11:52PM -0700, Shagshag wrote:
> does anyone know of a full python + wxWindows email client ?

I wrote GBMail for my own use. I like it a lot. It likely wouldn't
suit anyone else but writing it was sure a fun way to learn Python. I
haven't posted the source anywhere but I'd be happy to share it with
anyone interested.

I used Python, wxPython, and my own SWIG wrapper for the UW Imap
client library.

It has automagic completion on email addresses, on-the-fly spell
checking in composition windows, html display using IE embedded in a
window, fast full-text search of all my email messages, some tricks
for handling attachments, and other stuff I can't think of now.

I looked at all the email clients and they were all broken in one
way or another. I figure there must be some constant of brokenness for
email programs. GBMail is broken too, just not in ways that bother me

gb

JanC

Gerhard Häring <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef:

> Mahogany has support for Python scripting in the sourcecode, but AFAIR
> it hasn't been updated for years.

Last Windows binary build is dated 2003-07-15...

--
JanC

Vadim Zeitlin

[this is really OT but the opportunity was too good...]

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 11:19:37 GMT, JanC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Gerhard Häring <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef:
>
>> Mahogany has support for Python scripting in the sourcecode, but AFAIR
>> it hasn't been updated for years.

> Last Windows binary build is dated 2003-07-15...

And the next release should happen really soon now (no joking).
Unfortunately, Python support will almost surely be disabled in it because
there is not enough interest in it to motivate me to maintain it and so right
now it doesn't even support 2.2 without speaking of 2.3 (only 1.5, 1.6 and
2.1). But if someone would like to have a relatively powerful cross-platform
mail client scriptable in Python Mahogany would be a great to start and any
help with the embedded Python interpreter would be very welcome.

Regards,
VZ
--
GCS/GM d? H+ s++:-- p2 au--- a- w+ v C+++ UBLS+++ P- L++ N++ E--- W++++ M? V--
-po+ R++ G`` !tv b+++ D--- e++++ u++ h--- f+ r++ n- y?

JanC

Vadim Zeitlin <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef:

[about Mahogany]
> And the next release should happen really soon now (no joking).
> Unfortunately, Python support will almost surely be disabled in it
> because there is not enough interest in it to motivate me to maintain
> it and so right now it doesn't even support 2.2 without speaking of
> 2.3 (only 1.5, 1.6 and 2.1). But if someone would like to have a
> relatively powerful cross-platform mail client scriptable in Python
> Mahogany would be a great to start and any help with the embedded
> Python interpreter would be very welcome.

I was just looking at it as a replacement for my current mail client, and
Python scripting was one of the things which made me look at it (I found a
link to it on the wxWindows site). But scripting (Python or other) is not
something I really need in a mail client currently...

Mahogany itself has many good & sometimes unique features.

But it has some strange bugs too.
I'll try a new install and not play with the "Calendar" module this time,
as it seems the problems started after activating it...

--
JanC

Shagshag

"Gary Bishop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:11:52PM -0700, Shagshag wrote:
> > does anyone know of a full python + wxWindows email client ?

> I wrote GBMail for my own use. I like it a lot. It likely wouldn't
> suit anyone else but writing it was sure a fun way to learn Python. I
> haven't posted the source anywhere but I'd be happy to share it with
> anyone interested.

this could interest me.

(and i also started this thread because i would like to learn
wxWindows in a useful way...)

thanks,