Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: ANN: Snakelets 1.1 (simple-to-use web app server with dynamicpages)

Re: ANN: Snakelets 1.1 (simple-to-use web app server with dynamicpages)

Karl Scalet

Irmen de Jong schrieb:
> I'm happy to say that Snakelets 1.1 is now available.
>
> Snakelets is a simple Python web application server, ...

Hi Irmen,

is there any support for cgi built into?

Karl

Irmen de Jong

Karl Scalet wrote:
> the reason why I asked for CGI was that I potentially
> will hold a course about python/webprogramming (very
> newbie level) and was thinking about an easy way to set
> up an environment of such.

Well, setting up Snakelets is as simple as untarring the tarball
and starting serv.py. Presto, a running web server with
several demo applications ready to go.
Adding your own app is as simple as creating a directory
and stuffing some .html files (or .y files) into it.

But it depends on what you want to *achieve* with the web
app in your course. If it is a few simple pages, CGI is
good enough. But if you want to do stuff with sessions,
or more complex pages or page interactions, IMHO CGI
is quickly becoming too cumbersome.

> Previously I was thinking
> about twisted, but did not yet investigate about the
> CGI capabilities there. Why CGI at all: Simple because
> if I introduce some simple web-applications in the course
> the attendees could take them and most easily transport
> them to a common web-hoster. I know about CGIHTTPServer
> and might end up with it.

FWIW, it is trivial to create a Ypage in Snakelets or
a true Snakelet that 'calls' your designated "cgi" script
with the current request environment. But one thing is
certain: the web app you're creating won't easily be
transported to a common web-hoster, while plain old
CGI scripts would. It seems that going with CGIHTTPServer
(or even a pre-configured apache server that can run
your python cgi scripts) is your best option.

--Irmen

Irmen de Jong

Karl Scalet wrote:

> very easy and nice, indeed.
> BTW after a change of the port-number and a restart,
> the server crashed:
> snakeserver/server.py line 511:
> the clearPageCache argument is missing

A small bug indeed. Will fix this ASAP
you can easily fix this yourself in the meantime
by adding the missing argument to the call to
createHTTPD().

> I will play around with Snakelets even more. As far as
> I can see now, it's pretty right for educational
> purposes (at the least).

My purpose was twofold:
- understand better how to write dynamic web applications
- understand the inner workings of a web application server.

Your course, is it about both? Or only the first?

> Do you intend to bring Snakelets up to a production level?

No, I don't.
But if somebody else wants to do that, be my guest

> Which one of the current products (Webware?) do you
> think is closest to yours?

I think Webware, because it also has the concept of
'servlets' and 'python server pages'.
Actually, I "borrowed" a few ideas from Webware
for my Ypages

--Irmen

Karl Scalet

Irmen de Jong schrieb:
> Karl Scalet wrote:
>
> you can easily fix this yourself in the meantime
> by adding the missing argument to the call to
> createHTTPD().

yes, easy enough

> My purpose was twofold:
> - understand better how to write dynamic web applications
> - understand the inner workings of a web application server.
>
> Your course, is it about both? Or only the first?

If ever, very likely just option 1.

>> Do you intend to bring Snakelets up to a production level?

> No, I don't.
> But if somebody else wants to do that, be my guest
>
>> Which one of the current products (Webware?) do you
>> think is closest to yours?

> I think Webware, because it also has the concept of
> 'servlets' and 'python server pages'.

That was my guess.

Karl

John J. Lee

Karl Scalet <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
[...]
> the reason why I asked for CGI was that I potentially
> will hold a course about python/webprogramming (very

[...]
> CGI capabilities there. Why CGI at all: Simple because
> if I introduce some simple web-applications in the course
> the attendees could take them and most easily transport
> them to a common web-hoster. I know about CGIHTTPServer

[...]

Albatross might be worth a look too (also simple, pure-Python hence
easy install, small step up from plain CGI).

John

Karl Scalet

John J. Lee schrieb:
> Karl Scalet <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> [...]
>
>>the reason why I asked for CGI was that I potentially
>>will hold a course about python/webprogramming (very

> [...]
>
>>CGI capabilities there. Why CGI at all: Simple because
>>if I introduce some simple web-applications in the course
>>the attendees could take them and most easily transport
>>them to a common web-hoster. I know about CGIHTTPServer

> [...]
>
> Albatross might be worth a look too (also simple, pure-Python hence
> easy install, small step up from plain CGI).

I will have a look at this animal, thank you for the info.

Karl