Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > MD5 security probems on a 2620

MD5 security probems on a 2620

Ed Pacheco

I ran across a funny situation while doing a lab for my CCNP:

While setting up 3 routers all 2620s V. 12.2(12c) for OSPF over a LAN
I get adjacencies fine until I turn on authentication. I double
checked everything and had an instructor go over it and it looked all
ok to him too. The only thing that was different on the routers is
that 2 had BRI interfaces and one didn't. low and behold I copy the
config over to another 2620 with a BRI interface and everything is
running fine, why I don't know. So I came to the board for your
thoughts.

Hansang Bae

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> I ran across a funny situation while doing a lab for my CCNP:
>
> While setting up 3 routers all 2620s V. 12.2(12c) for OSPF over a LAN
> I get adjacencies fine until I turn on authentication. I double
> checked everything and had an instructor go over it and it looked all
> ok to him too. The only thing that was different on the routers is
> that 2 had BRI interfaces and one didn't. low and behold I copy the
> config over to another 2620 with a BRI interface and everything is
> running fine, why I don't know. So I came to the board for your
> thoughts.

Passwords had trailing spaces. That'd be my guess.

--

hsb

Ed Pacheco

I cheked for spaces and even tried another password. still no good.
the very same config works ok if all three routers have BRI interfaces.

Hansang Bae <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > I ran across a funny situation while doing a lab for my CCNP:
> >
> > While setting up 3 routers all 2620s V. 12.2(12c) for OSPF over a LAN
> > I get adjacencies fine until I turn on authentication. I double
> > checked everything and had an instructor go over it and it looked all
> > ok to him too. The only thing that was different on the routers is
> > that 2 had BRI interfaces and one didn't. low and behold I copy the
> > config over to another 2620 with a BRI interface and everything is
> > running fine, why I don't know. So I came to the board for your
> > thoughts.

> Passwords had trailing spaces. That'd be my guess.
>
> --
>
> hsb
>
> "Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding" Calvin
> *************** USE ROT13 TO SEE MY EMAIL ADDRESS ****************
> ************************************************** ******************
> Due to the volume of email that I receive, I may not not be able to
> reply to emails sent to my account. Please post a followup instead.
> ************************************************** ******************

Hansang Bae

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I cheked for spaces and even tried another password. still no good.
> the very same config works ok if all three routers have BRI interfaces.

Do you have some areas you're not accounting for? I.e. virtual links
are considered area 0. It's often missed when placing authentication in
area 0. Or it could be a bug, or the router may need a reboot.

--

hsb