Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > PyChecker work with Python 2.3?

PyChecker work with Python 2.3?

achrist@easystreet.com

The pychecker site says that pychecker works with versions
1.5 through 2.2. Any reason to expect that 2.3 breaks it?
Anyone tried it to see?

TIA

Al

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=

> The pychecker site says that pychecker works with versions
> 1.5 through 2.2. Any reason to expect that 2.3 breaks it?
> Anyone tried it to see?

Why don't *you*?

-- Gerhard

Skip Montanaro

Al> The pychecker site says that pychecker works with versions
Al> 1.5 through 2.2. Any reason to expect that 2.3 breaks it?
Al> Anyone tried it to see?

I run Python CVS as my normal Python on my laptop. I've never had a problem
with PyChecker.

Skip

achrist@easystreet.com

Gerhard Häring wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > The pychecker site says that pychecker works with versions
> > 1.5 through 2.2. Any reason to expect that 2.3 breaks it?
> > Anyone tried it to see?

> Why don't *you*?

Smart people learn from their mistakes. Very smart people
learn from other people's mistakes.

Al

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Gerhard Häring wrote:
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>The pychecker site says that pychecker works with versions
>>>1.5 through 2.2. Any reason to expect that 2.3 breaks it?
>>>Anyone tried it to see?

>>Why don't *you*?

> Smart people learn from their mistakes. Very smart people
> learn from other people's mistakes.

If you think you are so smart, why don't you use your time more
economically then and just try it out?

-- Gerhard

=?iso-8859-1?q?Fran=E7ois_Pinard?=

[Gerhard Häring]

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Gerhard Häring wrote:

> >>Why don't *you*?

> > Smart people learn from their mistakes. Very smart people
> > learn from other people's mistakes.

> If you think you are so smart, why don't you use your time more economically
> then and just try it out?

Come on, guys!

What's so wrong, asking if someone had success or problems with something?
Asserting for oneself that a package `works' may be a bigger undertaking
than one might think of. Quickly trying simple cases is one thing. But
being solid in all conditions is another game. If unit testing is popular
in these days, this is because people feel an urge of being able to answer
such questions, however imperfect unit testing may be.

It looks like time economical, to me, asking to a crowd of interesting
people if someone hit any problem using a package under specified
conditions, compared to trying all alone to ascertain the quality. There is
of course the danger of abusive laziness, but we should be careful and
reserved, before silently assuming that our correspondent is rotten lazy.

--
François Pinard http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard

Michele Simionato

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Gerhard Häring wrote:
> >
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > > The pychecker site says that pychecker works with versions
> > > 1.5 through 2.2. Any reason to expect that 2.3 breaks it?
> > > Anyone tried it to see?

> > Why don't *you*?
> >

> Smart people learn from their mistakes. Very smart people
> learn from other people's mistakes.
>

> Al

I context one can learn anything from second hand mistakes.
There is much more satisfaction in making your own

Michele

achrist@easystreet.com

Gerhard Häring wrote:

> If you think you are so smart, why don't you use your time more
> economically then and just try it out?

If I upgrade python to 2.3 I also must upgrade:

ctypes
py2exe
pysqlite
win32all
wxPython

With a dial-up connection that's quite a bit of download time.
Then, if there is a problem, I must roll back:

python
ctypes
py2exe
pysqlite
win32all
wxPython

And hope that everything rolls back ok.

Meanwhile, I've got a reasonably busy application-level
to-do list going.

Better to ask a question than worry about all that, no?

Al

achrist@easystreet.com

François Pinard wrote:

> There is of course the danger of abusive laziness, but we should be
> careful and reserved, before silently assuming that our correspondent > is rotten lazy.

I may be rotten and I may be lazy, but rotten lazy no one has ever
called me AFAIK. I post code here whenever I've got anything worth
sharing or finding out if it's not worth sharing. (I should publish
a paper sometime about using Google Groups as a substitute for CVS.)
About a month ago I made some comments about wxHtml and wound up
debugging code for a correspondent by email who wasn't getting it
to work. That was good.

The world has brilliant people and pedestrian people. I'm more
pedestrian. I'll admit that I ask more questions than I answer,
but that helps keep this newsgroup balanced, as there are so many
brilliant people here who answer more questions than they ask. If
it wasn't for people like me, the brilliant ones would be here
answering questions that noboby had asked. Life's like that.
Everyone has a place at the table. First you eat, and then you
get eaten.

Al

achrist@easystreet.com

Skip Montanaro wrote:

> >> If you think you are so smart, why don't you use your time more
> >> economically then and just try it out?

> al> If I upgrade python to 2.3 I also must upgrade:
>
> al> ctypes
> al> py2exe
> al> pysqlite
> al> win32all
> al> wxPython
>
> Just to see if pychecker works?

Just to see if pychecker works for the software for which it matters
to me if pychecker works.

> Why not just configure Python with a
> different --prefix=... flag? That's assuming you're on a unix-like > system.

I'm not.

> If you're on Windows (as it appears you are), Python 2.3 installs in
> c:\Python23 by default which shouldn't disturb your earlier Python
> installation unless you were tanked the day you installed it and put > it in
> c:\Python23.

If I'm on a Windows system, and I am, I am very suspicious of any
claims that it is possible to install and uninstall anything easily
and come out exactly where I was before. About a month ago I noticed
that my jaz drive was working not too well, so I upgraded Iomega's
tools. That broke NT, it wouldn't uninstall, and I spent 3.5 days
trying to fix NT. (This was actually within a week after NT had been
dropped from Microsoft's supported list, and all the MS knowledgebase
articles about NT and NT workstation service packs and patches had
been purged from the MS website). If you work with Windows much, you
learn the downside of promiscuous installing. There's always a risk.
Better to ask twice and install once.

Al