Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > PyChecker work with Python 2.3?

PyChecker work with Python 2.3?

John J. Lee

> The pychecker site says that pychecker works with versions
> 1.5 through 2.2. Any reason to expect that 2.3 breaks it?
> Anyone tried it to see?

No, but 2.3 has no major language changes, and concentrates on library
improvements, so I'd guess it's likely there are no major problems
running Pychecker.

John

achrist@easystreet.com

Skip Montanaro wrote:

> Al> The pychecker site says that pychecker works with versions
> Al> 1.5 through 2.2. Any reason to expect that 2.3 breaks it?
> Al> Anyone tried it to see?
>
> I run Python CVS as my normal Python on my laptop. I've never had a problem
> with PyChecker.

Based on this encouraging news, I have upgraded all the packages listed
and run pychecker on a program using them all. It looks to work fine.
Speed was not noticeably increased or decreased.

The only change required in my sources is evidently that the csv
module no longer has a parser(); it's a reader(aFile).

About the only noticeably slow part of the program is the part that
read a gzipped csv file. Unzipping and parsing a 170kb gzip file
took about 20 sec with v2.2.3, and takes only about 9 sec with v2.3
(200 MHz machine). So, the speed increase is big where I needed it
most. This is great.

Al

Skip Montanaro

Al> The only change required in my sources is evidently that the csv
Al> module no longer has a parser(); it's a reader(aFile).

Sounds like you were using a different csv file reader/writer, perhaps
Object Craft's. The csv module which is part of 2.3 is a new module in the
core. It has a different interface than Object Craft's csv module. (Note
that the Object Craft folks are the primary developers of the new csv module
as well.)

Skip

John Machin

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> The only change required in my sources is evidently that the csv
> module no longer has a parser(); it's a reader(aFile).

Python doesn't break version-to-version compatibility like that. You
have to pay lots of money to software vendors to get them to do that
to you.

No, "the" csv module is new in 2.3. Under 2.2 you had been using "a"
3rd party extension, written by Dave Cole. Same name, similar purpose,
different contents.

Another case: the 'optik' 3rd party extension was sanctified as
'optparse'. Different name, mostly same contents.

Hint: before upgrading to a new Python version, check what extensions
you have in your site-packages directory. Read "what's new in Python
m.n". Some of the site-packages you may have trialled and abandoned,
most will need to be upgraded to be compatible with the new Python
version (especially if you are running Windows), and in a few cases
(e.g. csv and optik) you may want to switch to a new module, requiring
changes to your source.

achrist@easystreet.com

Skip Montanaro wrote:

> Al> The only change required in my sources is evidently that the csv
> Al> module no longer has a parser(); it's a reader(aFile).
>
> Sounds like you were using a different csv file reader/writer,
> perhaps Object Craft's. The csv module which is part of 2.3 is a
> new module in the core. It has a different interface than Object
> Craft's csv module.

I knew that was coming, and I hoped it would be compatible. It
isn't, but it's close enough that I just had to change about 5 lines
and cut out about ten to switch from one API to the other.

I didn't have to change anything else. I guess that I'm still ok
importing generators from the future even though they are no longer
in the future.

This moving from one release to the next is really very nice and easy.
With other tools and languages, you have to wait for all the
third-party vendors to upgrade their packages, then see what works
and what doesn't. All the 3rd party packages for python that I was
relying on under 2.2 were available for 2.3 the day that 2.3 went
final.

Al

Terry Reedy

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I didn't have to change anything else. I guess that I'm still ok
> importing generators from the future even though they are no longer
> in the future.

It is quite intentional that future imports be simply ignored when
'obsolete' and not suddenly make program not run.

tjr

achrist@easystreet.com

Terry Reedy wrote:

> It is quite intentional that future imports be simply ignored when
> 'obsolete' and not suddenly make program not run.

Don't worry about it. I can find plenty of other ways to have my
programs not run.

Al