Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Wrtiting AVI files with Python

Wrtiting AVI files with Python

JamesT

Hi all,

I looked around for information about how to write AVI files with
Python but I didn't find any. PIL does not have that feature
implemented. The closest thing I found what the source code for
avifile which is in C++. Does any one know if there is such a tool for
Python or some libraries that I could import and use in my code?

Thanks,
JET

Anand Pillai

AFAIK the only apis in python that come close to being called
multimedia APIs are PIL and the ming library for reading SWF
files. PIL has support for basic animation like Animated gifs
and Autodesk flc/fli animations but not for the 'heavy' formats
like AVI/MPEG/QT.

Of course one cannot write a library for managing multimedia
formats like AVI/MPEG in pure python. The best approach is to
borrow some C++ library code and implement a python interface
for it. Something similar to the spread toolkit for python.
(http://www.python.org/other/spread/)

I was interested in creating a multimedia library for python for
handling AVI/MPEG files in this manner by using a widely available
C++/C library and writing a python extension for it. I have not yet
done anything for it. If you plan to write one, please post it here so
that I can join in or help with the coding.

Regards

~Anand