Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python vs. Perl vs. PHP?

Python vs. Perl vs. PHP?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=

Fazer wrote:
> Thanks for the reply! I think I am going to give mod_python a try.
> Would I have to be root to install mod_python?

Either that or you need to have the privileges to compile Apache +
mod_python and run it on a nonprivileged port (> 1024).

> Because that's one of
> my biggest concerns. I don't have root and I don't want to work on my
> windows machine since I am kind of more comfortable working on a Linux
> platform. [...]

mod_python works on Windows as well. The harder part is finding a web
hoster that will host mod_python apps (pythonhosting.com comes to mind).
I personally find it much easier to learn about system administration
and get my own dedicated server for EUR 39/month.

-- Gerhard

Diez B. Roggisch

Hi,

> Compared to Apache 2.0 with PHP/Zend & Accelerator? I honestl don't think
> so. When PHP is compiled to native code it is as fast as Java or C.

There is no such thing like a native compiler for PHP. If you're speaking of
the ZEND compiler - AFAIK that one just does some parse tree caching. As I
mentioned before, a friend of mine works on a php->C (and then native, of
course) compiler.

One thing he has to do is to recreate all the library bindings. These are
really slow implemented in PHP - has something to do with the
parameter-passing. And thats something the ZEND compiler doesn't speed up.

Another thing is PHP session mechanism - the simply persist every session to
the filesystem. Sure, there are FS-Caches, but neverless thats not as fast
as imaginable...

And what do you mean by "As fast as Java or C"? There is a huge difference
in speed between these two.

Not that I think that speed matters much here - usually, the bandwidth,
process creation time and database queries are the bottlenecks.

Regards,

Diez

Diez B. Roggisch

>> Definitely. See here:
>>
>> http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/craps.shtml

> has somebody tried to run this bench with python2.3 ?

I just picked a few (heapsort.python, methcall.python, objinst.python) tests
and run them on my local machine using 2.2 and 2.3.

The results are that 2.3 seems to need 60-70% of cpu time. Looks good!

time heapsort.python2.3 80000
real 0m4.779s
user 0m3.540s
sys 0m0.000s

time heapsort.python2.2 80000
real 0m5.655s
user 0m5.510s
sys 0m0.030s

Mind you: I didn't do a full benchmarking and didn't even try so!

Diez

Fazer

> I personally find it much easier to learn about system administration
> and get my own dedicated server for EUR 39/month.

39? Where do you get such a good deal?

Wilk

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Fazer) writes:

>> I personally find it much easier to learn about system administration
>> and get my own dedicated server for EUR 39/month.

> 39? Where do you get such a good deal?

15EUR/month on http://lost-oasis.fr i write about them because they make a lot
of contributions to open-source...

--
William Dode - http://flibuste.net

Irmen de Jong

Wilk wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (Fazer) writes:
>

>>>I personally find it much easier to learn about system administration
>>>and get my own dedicated server for EUR 39/month.

>>39? Where do you get such a good deal?

> 15EUR/month on http://lost-oasis.fr i write about them because they make a lot
> of contributions to open-source...

[e:\]ping lost-oasis.fr

Pinging lost-oasis.fr [80.67.180.4] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 80.67.180.4:

Ahem ....

--Irmen

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=

Fazer wrote:
>>I personally find it much easier to learn about system administration
>>and get my own dedicated server for EUR 39/month.

> 39? Where do you get such a good deal?

http://hetzner.de/ - "Entry Server" EUR 39
http://www.server4free.de/ - EUR 30
http://www.server4free.de/ - VServer (basically User Mode Linux) - EUR 10

http://www.1und1.com/ - EUR 49

These are the cheapest offers of the relevant German providers. They all
come with a considerable setup fee as well, so don't just look at the
monthly fee.

-- Gerhard

Paul Rubin

Gerhard Häring <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >> I personally find it much easier to learn about system
> >> administration and get my own dedicated server for EUR 39/month.

> > 39? Where do you get such a good deal?

> http://hetzner.de/ - "Entry Server" EUR 39
> http://www.server4free.de/ - EUR 30
> http://www.server4free.de/ - VServer (basically User Mode Linux) - EUR 10
>
> http://www.1und1.com/ - EUR 49
>
> These are the cheapest offers of the relevant German providers. They
> all come with a considerable setup fee as well, so don't just look at
> the monthly fee.

www.usermodelinux.org has links to a bunch of other such providers.
EUR 10 is the lowest monthly price I've seen, but I think there are
some in the 20 USD/month range with low or no setup fees.