Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > autoconf-style checking for installed libs with DistUtils

autoconf-style checking for installed libs with DistUtils

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Michael_Str=F6der?=

HI!

Is it possible to probe for installed libs with DistUtils?

I'd like to automatically search for optional libs and adjust C compiler
switchers before starting the build of a the extension module.

Ciao, Michael.

John J. Lee

Michael Ströder <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Is it possible to probe for installed libs with DistUtils?
>
> I'd like to automatically search for optional libs and adjust C
> compiler switchers before starting the build of a the extension module.

Unfortunately, great though it is, distutils can be a bit hard to
customize. I remember having trouble getting extra gcc switches in,
and getting data put where it needed to go. Generally, you do
whatever you like before calling setup(), to figure out library paths
and such. I haven't heard of any autoconf-like facilities having been
added. If you have a particular problem, try asking about that.

I wonder if SCons (pure-Python) could help in some way with this kind
of stuff? It *does* have some (newish, I think) autoconfiguration
code, but I don't know if it has any distutils support.

John

Hartmut Goebel

John J. Lee schrieb:
> Michael Ströder <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>Is it possible to probe for installed libs with DistUtils?

> I wonder if SCons (pure-Python) could help in some way with this kind
> of stuff? It *does* have some (newish, I think) autoconfiguration
> code, but I don't know if it has any distutils support.

SCons has some support for Library checks. But you may want to have a
look at Autoscons which offers more stuff (still under development). In
addition I am currently working on implementing a whole bunch of
autoconf stuff for Autoscons. If you are interested, I can send you some
fragments.

Regards
Hartmut Goebel
--
| Hartmut Goebel | IT-Security -- effizient |
| http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | www.goebel-consult.de |