Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python and VS.Net

Python and VS.Net

Ravi

Has anyone tried building Python with VC++.NET? Does it work or fail
horribly like I think it will. My boss seems to think it is good to have
programs that are in managed code because it is more 'portable'. Not
that there's another complete .NET runtime besides Microsoft's but he
does not understand that.

Thanks for the help,

Ravi

Trent Mick

[Tim Peters wrote]
> Note that all current Windows installers from PythonLabs install code
> compiled with VC6...

As do all ActivePython Windows packages.

Trent

--
Trent Mick

Marc Wilson

In comp.lang.python, "Tim Peters" <(E-Mail Removed)> (Tim Peters)
wrote in <(E-Mail Removed)>::

|[Ravi]
|> Has anyone tried building Python with VC++.NET? Does it work or fail
|> horribly like I think it will.
|
|Yes, several people have built it that way, and it works fine. You can get
|into obscure kinds of trouble if you try to mix code compiled with VC6 and
|VC7, though, because the C runtime systems are distinct (so, e.g.,
|malloc()ing memory in one runtime and free()ing it in another, or passing
|FILE* thingies across them, can lead to subtle-- or instantly
|catastrophic --problems).
|
|Note that all current Windows installers from PythonLabs install code
|compiled with VC6, and the same will be true for 2.3 final (due out next
|week). It also seems that 3rd-party extension modules compiled with VC7 are
|still hard to come by.
|
|> My boss seems to think it is good to have programs that are in managed
|> code because it is more 'portable'. Not that there's another complete
|> .NET runtime besides Microsoft's but he does not understand that.
|
|If you're younger than him, you can reasonably hope to outlive him <wink>.
|
|alas-it's-not-a-strategy-that-works-your-whole-career-ly y'rs - tim

As they say, science advances, funeral by funeral.
--
Marc Wilson

Cleopatra Consultants Limited - IT Consultants
2 The Grange, Cricklade Street, Old Town, Swindon SN1 3HG
Tel: (44/0) 70-500-15051 Fax: (44/0) 870 164-0054
Mail: (E-Mail Removed) Web: http://www.cleopatra.co.uk
Try MailTraq at https://my.mailtraq.com/register.asp?code=cleopatra