Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Installing lots of packages

Installing lots of packages

Greg Fortune

I've got a whole bunch of package dependencies in the programs I develop.
Mainly, they are generic libraries/utilities I've written that are needed
by most of the programs I write. The biggest problem I've had with
python's packaging system is that I end up needing to install every library
package on each machine I install my programs on. It's even worse when I
go through an upgrade...

Is there any way to create something like a "meta-package"? ie, can bundle
a whole bunch of packages together under a single installer? I'm working
on both Windows and Mac so the tools need to support both platforms. Does
anything exist for this purpose?

Thanks,

Greg Fortune
Fortune Solutions

Greg Fortune

ack, sorry about that. Knode lied to me when it said the message didn't go
through ;o)

Greg