Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > good python book

good python book

anonymous@coolgroups.com

i'm looking to start learning python. could someone
recommend a good beginner's book for me?

thanks.

For free web access to 50,000+ newsgroups, please visit
http://www.coolgroups.com/. Thanks

Alan Gauld

On 22 Jul 2003 00:21:46 -0400, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> i'm looking to start learning python. could someone
> recommend a good beginner's book for me?

Depends. Are you new to programming or just new to the Python
language?

If the latter you should just use the official tutor that comes
with Python and save your money for one of the more advanced
books and/or references.

If you are a complete beginner there are lots of online tutors
but only a couple of books.

1) Ivan Van Lanningham's "Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours"
2) The Deitel's "Python How to Program"
2) My "Learn to Program using Python"

The focus of each is slightly different.

Check out the newbies page on the Python web site for more info.
I'd recommend trying a web tutor first then buying something like
Learning Python or Core Python...

HTH,

Alan G

Author of the Learn to Program website

Paul Rudin

> On 22 Jul 2003 00:21:46 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> i'm looking to start learning python. could someone recommend
>> a good beginner's book for me?

> Depends. Are you new to programming or just new to the Python
> language?

> If the latter you should just use the official tutor that comes
> with Python and save your money for one of the more advanced
> books and/or references.

And "Text processing in python", which would be good for experienced
programmers new to python, is available online at
<http://gnosis.cx/TPiP/>, although no doubt the author would be keen
for people to buy copies as well...

Alan Kennedy

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> i'm looking to start learning python. could someone
> recommend a good beginner's book for me?

Plenty of useful and free introductory material here:-

http://www.python.org/doc/Newbies.html

And not a flattened dead tree in sight.

--
alan kennedy

Max Khesin

diveintopython.org is an awsome book (albeit not completely finished).

Max Khesin, software developer -
(E-Mail Removed)
[check out our image compression software at www.cvisiontech.com, JBIG2-PDF
compression @