Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Jul 21)

Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Jul 21)

Irmen de Jong

QOTW: "To 'Tron' fans: yes, you could assign the name TimBit to it [the
TimBot] but it's a broken Bit; what's the use of a Bit that's always true?"
-- Christos Georgiou

"Whether or not I agree with you, you have made me think. That's worth
the price of my Internet connection this month."
-- Tim Roberts

Discussion
----------
Aahz writes a rebuttal to Artima.com, because a recent interview with
Bruce Eckel on that site might give the wrong impression regarding
Python's type system.
<http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=3D7590>
The interview with Bruce Eckel is at:
<http://www.artima.com/intv/typing.html>

Raymond Hettinger intrigues with the second episode of a series of
mysterious Python puzzles.
<http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3DVorQa.15236$Kw1.587@n=
wrdny02.gnilink.net>

Tom Plunket starts a huge thread about the way Python treats
objects, names, variables, assignment, references and what not.
Various people have different opinions about what would be the best
way to do things, but in the end, the QOTW of Tim Roberts (above)
kind of says it all.
<http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3D13t0hvsb7idh0g6ac3upe5k0qd6flc17a (E-Mail Removed)>

Michele Simionato likes to have an endswith method that accepts a
list of strings, instead of a single string argument. But things are
not that easy.
<http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3D2259b0e2.0307200604.44d343f4@post ing.google.com>

Alan Kennedy shows what you might do if you need to build a list of
database rows (from a query), without allocating the list beforehand
because you don't know the size. He uses an iterator to do the trick.
<http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=(E-Mail Removed)>

Andrew Kuchling has started a mailing list for discussion about
Python Web frameworks.
This is partly because perhaps Python needs a single 'standard' way
to create web applications, as Andy Robinson points out.
<http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3Dd5mm9v8em9j41kus2tvj2raipd7dagv18 k%404ax.com>

Announcements
-------------
Python 2.3 release candidate 1. This will become Python 2.3 final if
no major new bugs are found this week.
<http://www.python.org/2.3/>

Gnosis Utils 1.1.0, several Python modules for XML processing,
plus other generally useful tools such as pickling and indexing.
<http://gnosis.python-hosting.com/Gnosis_Utils-1.1.0.tar.gz>

ZODB3 3.3a1, a set of tools for using the Zope Object Database
(ZODB) in Python programs separately from Zope.
<http://www.zope.org/Products/ZODB3.3/>

SC-Track Roundup 0.5.9, an issue-tracking system with command-line,
web and e-mail interfaces.
<http://roundup.sourceforge.net/>

PyUNO (in OpenOffice.org1.1rc), a generic bridge between python
and OpenOffice.org's component model UNO (Universal Network Objects).
<http://udk.openoffice.org/python/python-bridge.html>

dnspython 1.1.0b1, a DNS toolkit for Python.
<http://www.dnspython.org/>

hYPerSonic is a python/c framework for building and manipulating
real-time sound processing pipelines.
<http://arrowtheory.com/software/hypersonic/index.html>

Albatross 1.10, is a small toolkit for developing highly stateful
web applications (including a HTML template language).
<http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/albatross/>

ClientForm 0.0.11 and 0.1.5a, a Python module for handling
HTML forms on the client.
<http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/ClientForm/>

C=F2nflux Lite 1.0, a web-based groupware and file management
application.
<http://www.conflux.ee/>

Quixote 0.6.1, yet another framework for developing Web applications
in Python (but focused on the Python developer).
<http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/>

SCGI 1.1, a package that implements the SCGI protocol (similar to
FastCGI, but easier to implement).
<http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/scgi/>

Everything you want is probably one or two clicks away in these pages:

Python.org's Python Language Website is the traditional
center of Pythonia
http://www.python.org
Notice especially the master FAQ
http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html

PythonWare complements the digest you're reading with the
daily python url
http://www.pythonware.com/daily
Mygale is a news-gathering webcrawler that specializes in (new)
World-Wide Web articles related to Python.
http://www.awaretek.com/nowak/mygale.html
While cosmetically similar, Mygale and the Daily Python-URL
are utterly different in their technologies and generally in
their results.

comp.lang.python.announce announces new Python software. Be
sure to scan this newly-revitalized newsgroup at least weekly.
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=d...ython.announce

Brett Cannon continues the marvelous tradition established by
Andrew Kuchling and Michael Hudson of summarizing action on the
python-dev mailing list once every other week.
http://www.python.org/dev/summary/

The Python Package Index catalogues packages.
http://www.python.org/pypi/

The somewhat older Vaults of Parnassus ambitiously collects references
to all sorts of Python resources.
http://www.vex.net/~x/parnassus/

Much of Python's real work takes place on Special-Interest Group
mailing lists
http://www.python.org/sigs/

The Python Business Forum "further[s] the interests of companies
that base their business on ... Python."
http://www.python-in-business.org

The Python Software Foundation has replaced the Python Consortium
as an independent nexus of activity
http://www.python.org/psf/

Cetus does much of the same
http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_python.html

Python FAQTS
http://python.faqts.com/

The old Python "To-Do List" now lives principally in a
SourceForge reincarnation.
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid...70&func=browse
http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0042.html

The online Python Journal is posted at pythonjournal.cognizor.com.
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) and (E-Mail Removed)
welcome submission of material that helps people's understanding
of Python use, and offer Web presentation of your work.

*Py: the Journal of the Python Language*
http://www.pyzine.com

Archive probing tricks of the trade:
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=d...python&num=100
http://groups.google.com/groups?meta....lang.python.*

Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
http://www.ddj.com/topics/pythonurl/
http://purl.org/thecliff/python/url.html (dormant)
or
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Python-URL!&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python

Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.
E-mail to <(E-Mail Removed)> should get through.

To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday morning
(approximately), ask <(E-Mail Removed)> to subscribe. Mention
"Python-URL!".

-- The Python-URL! Team--

Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
sponsor the "Python-URL!" project.

Kerim

Any posted URL of form "http://groups.google.com/groups?..." doesn't work for me;-(

Michael Hudson

Scott Schlesier <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:58:19 -0000, Irmen de Jong
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> Am I experiencing a "technical difficulty", or are all of the links
> below broken?

I think there's been some quoted-printable nagery happening.

Cheers,
mwh

--
LINTILLA: You could take some evening classes.
ARTHUR: What, here?

Ian Bicking

Here are the corrected Google URLs:

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=VorQa.15236$(E-Mail Removed) k.net

http://groups.google.com/groups?(E-Mail Removed)

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...ing.google.com

> Alan Kennedy shows what you might do if you need to build a list of
> database rows (from a query), without allocating the list beforehand
> because you don't know the size. He uses an iterator to do the trick.
> <http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=(E-Mail Removed)>

http://groups.google.com/groups?(E-Mail Removed)

> Andrew Kuchling has started a mailing list for discussion about
> Python Web frameworks.
> This is partly because perhaps Python needs a single 'standard' way
> to create web applications, as Andy Robinson points out.

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...v18k%404ax.com

Irmen de Jong

Michael Hudson wrote:

> I think there's been some quoted-printable nagery happening.

Exactly. Please accept my apologies for this!
Thanks to Ian Bicking for posting the 'right' URLs.

I'm not sure what caused the character conversion problem,
but I'll do my best to avoid it in future editions.

--Irmen de Jong

Simon Burton

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:58:19 +0000, Irmen de Jong wrote:

> QOTW: "To 'Tron' fans: yes, you could assign the name TimBit to it [the
> TimBot] but it's a broken Bit; what's the use of a Bit that's always true?"
> -- Christos Georgiou
>
> "Whether or not I agree with you, you have made me think. That's worth
> the price of my Internet connection this month."
> -- Tim Roberts
>

> Discussion
> Aahz writes a rebuttal to Artima.com, because a recent interview with
> Bruce Eckel on that site might give the wrong impression regarding
> Python's type system.
> <http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=3D7590>
> The interview with Bruce Eckel is at:
> <http://www.artima.com/intv/typing.html>