Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Need Help setting up Etherchannel w/ EMC Celerra (Cisco 2970)

Need Help setting up Etherchannel w/ EMC Celerra (Cisco 2970)

Todd Richert

Ok I have EMC Celerra data mover ports 1 and 2 connected to ports 13
and 14 (neighbor ports) on my 2970 (all cabling and terminators are
cat6 rated).

EMC assures me that the ports are configured properly on the Celerra
(i of course don't know how to check ? )

yet on the cisco if i do for example show ether detail the first line
says

Port State = Up Sngl-port-Bndl Mstr Not-in-Bndl

and gives the same state message for the 2nd port in the bundle .. now
the config for it in show running shows

interface GigabitEthernet0/13
description Port1 EMC1
switchport trunk native vlan 100
switchport mode dynamic desirable
no ip address
duplex full
speed 1000
channel-group 1 mode auto non-silent
spanning-tree portfast trunk
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/14
description Port2 EEmc1
switchport trunk native vlan 100
switchport mode dynamic desirable
no ip address
duplex full
speed 1000
channel-group 1 mode auto non-silent
spanning-tree portfast trunk
!
port-channel load-balance dst-mac
spanning-tree mode pvst
spanning-tree extend system-id
------------

That is all the relevant config on the switch .. any idea why show
ether detail is showing the channels as individual lines ?

M.C. van den Bovenkamp

Todd Richert wrote:

> Ok I have EMC Celerra data mover ports 1 and 2 connected to ports 13
> and 14 (neighbor ports) on my 2970 (all cabling and terminators are
> cat6 rated).
>
> That is all the relevant config on the switch .. any idea why show
> ether detail is showing the channels as individual lines ?

Because the Celera probably doesn't support PAgP (Cisco proprietary)?
Try 'channel-group 1 mode active' for a LACP group, if the box supports
it, or just 'channel-group 1 mode on' if not.

Regards,

Marco.

Todd Richert

"M.C. van den Bovenkamp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<40212647$0$129$(E-Mail Removed)4al l.nl>...
> Todd Richert wrote:
>
> > Ok I have EMC Celerra data mover ports 1 and 2 connected to ports 13
> > and 14 (neighbor ports) on my 2970 (all cabling and terminators are
> > cat6 rated).
> >
> > That is all the relevant config on the switch .. any idea why show
> > ether detail is showing the channels as individual lines ?

> Because the Celera probably doesn't support PAgP (Cisco proprietary)?
> Try 'channel-group 1 mode active' for a LACP group, if the box supports
> it, or just 'channel-group 1 mode on' if not.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marco.

Marco,

Ok Progress ! channel-group 1 mode on seems to have done something,
the status line for both Gig 0/13 and Gig 0/14 now reads

Port state = Up Mstr In-Bndl
----

My question is should they both be saying Mstr ? I can access the
device so I know its doing something .. Need to figure out how to test
this bundle now =)

M.C. van den Bovenkamp

Todd Richert wrote:

> Ok Progress ! channel-group 1 mode on seems to have done something,
> the status line for both Gig 0/13 and Gig 0/14 now reads
>
> Port state = Up Mstr In-Bndl
> ----
>
> My question is should they both be saying Mstr ? I can access the
> device so I know its doing something .. Need to figure out how to test
> this bundle now =)

Don't know, to be honest, but it's probably because there isn't a
'master' per se; you have forced them into a channel group without any
protocol.

Regards,

Marco.