Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > RE: <> and !=

RE: <> and !=

Tim Peters

[hokiegal99, on <> vs !=]
> What's the reason for having two symbols mean the same thing?

Hysterical raisins. Python originally used only "<>". C programmers whined
about that, so Python added "!=" too. But Python code already used "<>", so
it was too late to get rid of that one. "<>" was deprecated instead.
That's a computer science term usually meaning it's like a mentally
disturbed uncle: we won't kill it, but we won't talk about it either
<wink>. The good news is that Guido has become more hardened to whining
over the centures since then.

hokiegal99

Tim Peters wrote:
> "<>" was deprecated instead.
> That's a computer science term usually meaning it's like a mentally
> disturbed uncle: we won't kill it, but we won't talk about it either
> <wink>.

That's very good... very good indeed. I know exactly what you mean. I'll
have to use your explanation to explain 'deprecated' to my users!

Thank you.