Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: newbie question: ImportError: No module named Numeric

Re: newbie question: ImportError: No module named Numeric

Harry George

rmachne <(E-Mail Removed)-res.org> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> Sorry, if there is a newbie list or this question is answered in tutorials
> - I tried but without succes - here is my question:
> Using linux,
> I need the 'Numerical Python' package, and I installed it on my local
> computer (not with the other packages in /usr/local/...) using
>
> ~/programs/Numeric-23.0>python setup.py install --home=/scratch/raim
>
> but now the Numeric package / module can't be found:
>
> ~/programs/Numeric-23.0/Test> python test.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "test.py", line 2, in ?
> import Numeric
> ImportError: No module named Numeric
> Exit 1
>
> I couldn't find out which path variable to change or add. Can anyone
> help?
> (Test.py works fine when called from within the lib folder with
> Numeric.py)
>
> best
> rainer

You can set an env variable:
export PYTHONPATH=/scratch/raim
(or whatever your shell syntax is)

This adds the path to your normal defaults.

You can also do this 'export' in a shell script which runs the
application. This is useful if you have several variants of a given
module, and want to use one or the other in a specific case.

6-6M31 Knowledge Management
Phone: (425) 294-8757