Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Library for pop over ssl?

Library for pop over ssl?

Marco Herrn

Hi, I know of poplib, which does what I need except that it doesn't
support SSL encryption. imaplib has SSL-support. But I want it with
pop3. Is there a library available that does this or do I have to
implement it myself?

Bye
Marco
--
Marco Herrn http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
(GnuPG/PGP-signed and crypted mail preferred)

Jp Calderone

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 03:08:53PM +0000, Marco Herrn wrote:
> Hi, I know of poplib, which does what I need except that it doesn't
> support SSL encryption. imaplib has SSL-support. But I want it with
> pop3. Is there a library available that does this or do I have to
> implement it myself?

http://www.twistedmatrix.com/

Jp

--
http://catandgirl.com/view.cgi?44

JanC

Marco Herrn <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef:

> Hi, I know of poplib, which does what I need except that it doesn't
> support SSL encryption. imaplib has SSL-support. But I want it with
> pop3. Is there a library available that does this or do I have to
> implement it myself?

You can always use stunnel to SSL-ize a "normal" protocol...
<http://www.stunnel.org/>

--
JanC

Skip Montanaro

>> Hi, I know of poplib, which does what I need except that it doesn't
>> support SSL encryption. imaplib has SSL-support. But I want it with
>> pop3. Is there a library available that does this or do I have to
>> implement it myself?

JanC> You can always use stunnel to SSL-ize a "normal" protocol...
JanC> <http://www.stunnel.org/>

Doesn't stunnel only work for servers?

Skip

JanC

Skip Montanaro <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef:

> >> Hi, I know of poplib, which does what I need except that it
> >> doesn't support SSL encryption. imaplib has SSL-support. But I
> >> want it with pop3. Is there a library available that does this
> >> or do I have to implement it myself?

> JanC> You can always use stunnel to SSL-ize a "normal" protocol...
> JanC> <http://www.stunnel.org/>
>
> Doesn't stunnel only work for servers?

It works for both servers & clients.
I use it with Xnews (my newsreader) to access secure NNTP servers.

--
JanC

Donn Cave

Quoth JanC <(E-Mail Removed)>:
| Marco Herrn <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef:
|> Hi, I know of poplib, which does what I need except that it doesn't
|> support SSL encryption. imaplib has SSL-support. But I want it with
|> pop3. Is there a library available that does this or do I have to
|> implement it myself?
|
| You can always use stunnel to SSL-ize a "normal" protocol...
| <http://www.stunnel.org/>

You can also SSL-ize a protocol in Python. I'm surprised to read
that imaplib has SSL support, because I don't see it in the library
module searching by 'ssl' or 'SSL'. I've had to do it the Python way,
so to speak: subclass IMAP4, implement a fileobject-like object, etc.
This should be feasible for POP3 as well - a quick look suggests that
it might be enough to copy its __init__ and rewrite it. The fileobject
emulation is to get pop3.file.readline et al. to call sslobject.read.

Donn Cave, (E-Mail Removed)