Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: mailbox_reader 1.0.2 -- Python module to read UNIX mailboxes sequentially.

Re: mailbox_reader 1.0.2 -- Python module to read UNIX mailboxes sequentially.

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz

On 2003-07-12, Andrew Dalke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz:
> > The module provides two classes: Mailbox, a file-like
> > object which allows you to iterate through the contents of
> > a mailbox, and Email, an object which holds the individual
> > emails returned by Mailbox.

> What does this do that the standard Python library doesn't support?
> mailbox - http://python.org/doc/current/lib/module-mailbox.html
> This module defines a number of classes that allow easy and uniform
> access to mail messages in a (Unix) mailbox.
> email - http://python.org/doc/current/lib/module-email.html
> The email package is a library for managing email messages,

* python 1.5.2 support.

* last time I checked I was unable to use the mailbox module to read
a mailbox, write it, and have them byte to byte identical. Didn't
bother to check if this has changed, though:

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...ing.google.com

* MUCH easier to use, open and read, you can't do much more.

* MUCH smaller. Easier to read the source and understand it.

* IHateUselessMixedCaseStyleThankYou. IHateEvenMore the_fact_that
the standardpythonlibrary mixes so_many DifferentStylesTogether.

* personal fulfillment, I enjoy rewritting wheels.

--
Please don't send me private copies of your public answers. Thanks.

Max M

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:

> * personal fulfillment, I enjoy rewritting wheels.

It is often asked why one should re-invent the wheel. Personally I am
glad that somebody did.

My Nissan would drive terribly with two woodne logs, or stone wheels,
instead of the current set of rubber tires.

Also I don't think that Pirelli, Firestone etc. find it such a bad idea
to keep reinventing the wheel.

regards Max M

Pedro Werneck

I agree that for a skilled professional programmer, reinventing the
wheel is a waste of time, but for amateurs like me, it's worth the
learning... for instance, I only managed to understood and use part of
Twisted after trying to write my own simple framework... and sometimes
I prefer to use it, for the simplicity and size...

Andrew Dalke

Me:
> > What does this do that the standard Python library doesn't support?

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz
> * python 1.5.2 support.
> * [round-tripping]

Could you include those points in your documentation? It
helps others to understand when to look at your library vs.
some other library.

Andrew