Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: new in town

Re: new in town

David McNab

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 21:07:48 +0000, Elaine Jackson paused, took a deep
breath, then came out with:

> Thank you.

Elaine,

Firstly, the McMillan Installer suggested to you is indeed very good, and
in nearly all cases creates fully standalone packaged apps for windows. If
ever it fails (rare cases), you can also try py2exe. Getting it to create
independent runtime packages on Linux could be problematic, but this is
less of an issue since any decent Linux system has Python installed or
available on tap.

Secondly, I can't see why some people accused you of being vague and
flippant. Your original enquiry was clear enough to me - you want to take
your python code and turn it into a form where it can be deployed on any
target system without bothering or confusing users by making them install
a python environment. A very clear and reasonable ask.

Do please persist with python, and don't let any pedantry on this group
get to you. The Python community on the whole is very friendly and
supportive. Add to this the marvel of a pain-saving language that Python
is, and you'll be feeling totally at home in a short time.

You can also get very fast answers to your questions in the IRC channel
#python on irc.freenode.net. Most people there are very welcoming of newer
python converts.

One caveat - please be warned that if you spend more than a little time
with Python, you'll develop a discomfort and dislike of other languages to
the point where you won't want to program in anything else. For instance,
I switched from PHP to Python 6 months ago. I used to like PHP, but I
can't stand it now. But maybe that's a *good* thing.

Have fun in your travels.

Cheers
David

> Wayne Pierce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> | "Elaine Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<AeVPa.445271$(E-Mail Removed) .ca>...
> | > Can Python be compiled? If so, how? (I have the 2.2 version of the
> interpreter.)
> | > TIA for any and all helps
> |
> | If you want to be able to distribute your Python apps without the end
> | user needing a Python interpreter take a look at the following:
> |
> | http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/install1.html
> |
> | Wayne

David McNab

One more thing Elaine - I may offend others on this list in saying this,
but if you're doing GUI applications, I strongly suggest that you dive in
and familiarise yourself with Tkinter. It could well be the only GUI you
ever need in Python.

Don't be intimidated if the Tkinter docs you come across urge you to
approach it from a Tk viewpoint- there's an excellent guide at:
http://www.astro.washington.edu/owen...erSummary.html

I argue for Tkinter over another popular Python-accessible GUI, wxWindows,
because Tkinter is smaller, faster and far less buggy, and has a really
nice 'feel' within the Python environment.

David

Cliff Wells

On Sat, 2003-07-12 at 20:27, David McNab wrote:
> One more thing Elaine - I may offend others on this list in saying this,
> but if you're doing GUI applications, I strongly suggest that you dive in
> and familiarise yourself with Tkinter. It could well be the only GUI you
> ever need in Python.
>
> Don't be intimidated if the Tkinter docs you come across urge you to
> approach it from a Tk viewpoint- there's an excellent guide at:
> http://www.astro.washington.edu/owen...erSummary.html
>
> I argue for Tkinter over another popular Python-accessible GUI, wxWindows,
> because Tkinter is smaller, faster and far less buggy, and has a really
> nice 'feel' within the Python environment.

Everyone is welcome to prefer whatever toolkit they like. However,
please don't use false reasons to justify your preference. Smaller?
Probably. Faster? I suspect the reverse is true, but I'd love to see
your benchmarking methodology. Less buggy? Very arguable, but I'd be
willing to concede that point if you concede that the reason for that
state is because wxWindows more actively developed than Tk <wink>.

Some *valid* reasons for choosing Tkinter over wxPython would be:

1. de facto standard for Python (and several other languages)
2. More widely ported
3. Somewhat simpler to learn

Reasons to choose wxPython over Tkinter:
1. More diverse widget set (hence the size difference)
2. More flexible framework (hence the higher learning curve)

Regards,
Cliff

--
Now as the petals are no more, a corroded shrinking stalk remains
-Bauhaus

Elaine Jackson

David McNab <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
newsan.2003.07.13.03.27.44.711790@127.0.0.1...
<snip>
| Don't be intimidated if the Tkinter docs you come across urge you to
| approach it from a Tk viewpoint- there's an excellent guide at:
| http://www.astro.washington.edu/owen...erSummary.html
<snip>
| David

Thanks for the tip.

Michael S. Jessop

Good luck, Elaine! Fwiw, I have been using wxWindows/wxPython and have
found it fairly easy to pick up - and I ain't the brightest bulb, if
you know what I mean.

And what David said about Python becoming the one and only language you
ever want to use is true.

Mike J.

In article <bz6Qa.420654$(E-Mail Removed) >, Elaine
Jackson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> David McNab <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> newsan.2003.07.13.03.27.44.711790@127.0.0.1...
> <snip>
> | Don't be intimidated if the Tkinter docs you come across urge you to
> | approach it from a Tk viewpoint- there's an excellent guide at:
> | http://www.astro.washington.edu/owen...erSummary.html
> <snip>
> | David
>

> Thanks for the tip.

Peter Hansen

David McNab wrote:

> One more thing Elaine - I may offend others on this list in saying this,
> but if you're doing GUI applications, I strongly suggest that you dive in
> and familiarise yourself with Tkinter. It could well be the only GUI you
> ever need in Python.
>
> Don't be intimidated if the Tkinter docs you come across urge you to
> approach it from a Tk viewpoint- there's an excellent guide at:
> http://www.astro.washington.edu/owen...erSummary.html
>
> I argue for Tkinter over another popular Python-accessible GUI, wxWindows,
> because Tkinter is smaller, faster and far less buggy, and has a really
> nice 'feel' within the Python environment.

And there are those of us who have tried that route already, found
it lacking, and are much happier with wxPython (not wxWindows)
because we find it faster, more cosmetically pleasing and usable,
and easier to work with.

To each his own. Thankfully we all have a choice here.

-Peter

Watch Out Vonage-There's a New Sheriff In Town! claywebb@zwallet.com VOIP 11 09-12-2005 06:01 PM
New pictures from my childhood town Eolake Stobblehouse Digital Photography 3 12-30-2003 12:02 AM
new guy in town Matt Francis Computer Support 10 10-21-2003 03:45 AM
New MCSE in town... Alejandro MCSE 1 09-15-2003 09:38 PM
Re: new in town Elaine Jackson Python 6 07-14-2003 04:09 AM

Advertisments