Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Any pure-python relational databases?

Re: Any pure-python relational databases?

David McNab

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 12:43:25 -0700, Wayne Pierce paused, took a deep
breath, then came out with:

>> 2) Any kind of relational DBMS written in pure python that'll run on
>> 1.5.2?

> While not relational, have you looked at Metakit?
>
> http://www.equi4.com/metakit/python.html

I got Metakit to compile for Python 1.5.2 without undue drama, just a
couple of makefile hacks.

Uploaded the shared lib and the python wrapper to the host, and it runs
just fine.

What a sweet little dbms!

Thank YOU, Wayne!!! ))

Piet van Oostrum

DM> On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 12:43:25 -0700, Wayne Pierce paused, took a deep
DM> breath, then came out with:

>>> 2) Any kind of relational DBMS written in pure python that'll run on
>>> 1.5.2?

>> While not relational, have you looked at Metakit?
>>
>> http://www.equi4.com/metakit/python.html

DM> I got Metakit to compile for Python 1.5.2 without undue drama, just a
DM> couple of makefile hacks.

DM> Uploaded the shared lib and the python wrapper to the host, and it runs
DM> just fine.

DM> What a sweet little dbms!

You must, however, be aware of multitasking issues, certainly on a web
site. When more than one request comes in at your site at approximately
the same time and they want to make modifications in your database, the
modifications may interact in a non-intended way, even to the point that
they may corrupt your database. Some file locking should be applied to
serialize the updates (and probably the reads as well with respect to the
updates). Metakit doesn't have record locking, unfortunately.
--
Piet van Oostrum <(E-Mail Removed)>
Private email: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

David McNab

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 17:19:57 +0200, Justin paused, took a deep breath,
then came out with:

>>> While not relational, have you looked at Metakit?

>> Thank YOU, Wayne!!! ))

> Be careful, though: the metakit page states that
> "There is no multi-user support", so I am not sure
> this is the ideal choice for a web-app. Unless the
> web clients just fetch dynamic pages and don't need
> to _write_ to the db... I have been intrigued by the
> library myself, but always thought this warning must
> be there for a reason...

Cave-man solution - lockfiles and wait loops.

If a website is so busy that waiting on locks risks maxing out the 30
second cgi limit, then presumably traffic is high enough to justify
getting a better server.