Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: new in town

Re: new in town

Elaine Jackson

As comforting as it is to know that there are "several ways of doing this", I'd
be even happier if I knew the name of just one of those ways. The FAQ searcher
doesn't seem to understand lengthy explanations and hand-waving.

Gerhard Häring <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Elaine Jackson wrote:
| > Can Python be compiled? [...]
|
| That depends on your definition of "compiled". If you mean that machine
| language can be constructed without any interpreter involved, then the
| answer is no.
|
| If you want a way to make a Python application not depend on an
| installed interpreter, then there are several ways to do this.
|
| This and many more of your questions to come will be answered by the
| Python FAQ, btw: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw.py
|
| -- Gerhard

Ian Bicking

On Sat, 2003-07-12 at 13:39, Elaine Jackson wrote:
> As comforting as it is to know that there are "several ways of doing this", I'd
> be even happier if I knew the name of just one of those ways. The FAQ searcher
> doesn't seem to understand lengthy explanations and hand-waving.

Then maybe the better answer would be: Python can be compiled into a
Windows executable for distribution, but it cannot be compiled to
improve speed. If you have performance issues there are a multitude of
solutions (as in any language), but don't expect to have problems until
you actually see a problem. Usually Python performance is entirely
adequate.

Ian

Joe Francia

Elaine Jackson wrote:
> As comforting as it is to know that there are "several ways of doing this", I'd
> be even happier if I knew the name of just one of those ways. The FAQ searcher
> doesn't seem to understand lengthy explanations and hand-waving.

Gerhard is undeserving of your flippancy. He's very active in this
forum and very knowledgeable, but doesn't tolerate ambiguity and
laziness (read some of his postings). You asked a vague question, and
got a vague answer (you also used an ambiguous subject line, so be
thankful someone answered you at all). You asked "Can Python be
compiled?". Did you mean "Can the interpreter be compiled by me?" or
"Can I compile my Python scripts into a stand-alone executable?" (this
one is asked once a week) or "Can the Python interpreter be compiled
into (embedded) an executable?" The answer to all of these is yes (more
or less - see the FAQ), but since you didn't even specify a platform,
how can you expect a more detailed answer than the one you got?

I entered "compile" into the FAQ search engine, and saw listed answers
to all of the above questions. You may want to revisit the FAQ, and you
also may want to read this page:

The Python community is a friendly one, but mostly, no one here will
hold your hand. If you show you've spent some time trying to solve the
problem yourself and then ask specific questions about the thing that's
stumping you, you'll get helpful responses.

jf

Elaine Jackson

That's okay, because I don't want my hand held. What I'd like is a reasonable
assurance that, if I pick up this tool, I'll be able to accomplish what I have
in mind. If not then, no offence, but I intend picking up a different tool.

Joe Francia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jkZPa.75780$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Elaine Jackson wrote:
| > As comforting as it is to know that there are "several ways of doing this",
I'd
| > be even happier if I knew the name of just one of those ways. The FAQ
searcher
| > doesn't seem to understand lengthy explanations and hand-waving.
| >

| Gerhard is undeserving of your flippancy. He's very active in this
| forum and very knowledgeable, but doesn't tolerate ambiguity and
| laziness (read some of his postings). You asked a vague question, and
| got a vague answer (you also used an ambiguous subject line, so be
| thankful someone answered you at all). You asked "Can Python be
| compiled?". Did you mean "Can the interpreter be compiled by me?" or
| "Can I compile my Python scripts into a stand-alone executable?" (this
| one is asked once a week) or "Can the Python interpreter be compiled
| into (embedded) an executable?" The answer to all of these is yes (more
| or less - see the FAQ), but since you didn't even specify a platform,
| how can you expect a more detailed answer than the one you got?
|
| I entered "compile" into the FAQ search engine, and saw listed answers
| to all of the above questions. You may want to revisit the FAQ, and you
| also may want to read this page:
| http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
|
| The Python community is a friendly one, but mostly, no one here will
| hold your hand. If you show you've spent some time trying to solve the
| problem yourself and then ask specific questions about the thing that's
| stumping you, you'll get helpful responses.
|
| jf

Erik Max Francis

Joe Francia wrote:

> Gerhard is undeserving of your flippancy.

I didn't detect flippancy, just a request for more concrete information.

--
Erik Max Francis && http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/ \ Now I must follow them!

Cameron Laird

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ian Bicking <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
.
.
.
>Then maybe the better answer would be: Python can be compiled into a
>Windows executable for distribution, but it cannot be compiled to
>improve speed. If you have performance issues there are a multitude of

.
.
.
Pysco <URL: http://psyco.sourceforge.net/ > is, of course,
making even the Python "cannont be compiled to improve
speed" proposition a debatable one.
--

Cameron Laird <(E-Mail Removed)>
Business: http://www.Phaseit.net

Peter Hansen

(Top-posting fixed. Elaine, please don't top-post. Thank you.)

Elaine Jackson wrote:
> Gerhard Häring <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | This and many more of your questions to come will be answered by the
> | Python FAQ, btw: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw.py
>
> As comforting as it is to know that there are "several ways of doing this", I'd
> be even happier if I knew the name of just one of those ways. The FAQ searcher
> doesn't seem to understand lengthy explanations and hand-waving.

The best way to use the FAQ is to read or at least skim through
the *whole* thing from top to bottom. Unwillingness to do so
indicates you don't value the time of those of us who try to help
others in this newsgroup, and you may encounter some reluctance
from us to help those who won't help themselves.

Please read the FAQ before posting questions. That's good advice
for anyone who is new to this group. It doesn't take long and the
information will go a long way towards helping you understand the
language and community.

Cheers,
-Peter

Watch Out Vonage-There's a New Sheriff In Town! claywebb@zwallet.com VOIP 11 09-12-2005 06:01 PM
New pictures from my childhood town Eolake Stobblehouse Digital Photography 3 12-30-2003 12:02 AM
new guy in town Matt Francis Computer Support 10 10-21-2003 03:45 AM
New MCSE in town... Alejandro MCSE 1 09-15-2003 09:38 PM
Re: new in town David McNab Python 5 07-14-2003 04:12 AM

Advertisments