Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > ATM and IMA Question???

ATM and IMA Question???

xxx

I have a 3640 with a 8 port ATM IMA Card.

I have two ATM links going to the local Telco.

The links are fine until I ad them to the IMA Group and then they go down.

What could be wrong with my config?
interface ATM2/0
no ip address
no atm oversubscribe
no atm ilmi-keepalive
ima-group 1
no scrambling-payload
!
interface ATM2/1
no ip address
no atm oversubscribe
no atm ilmi-keepalive
ima-group 1
no scrambling-payload
!
interface ATM2/2
no ip address
shutdown
no atm ilmi-keepalive
no scrambling-payload
!
interface ATM2/3
no ip address
shutdown
no atm ilmi-keepalive
no scrambling-payload
!
interface ATM2/4
no ip address
shutdown
no atm ilmi-keepalive
no scrambling-payload
!
interface ATM2/5
no ip address
shutdown
no atm ilmi-keepalive
no scrambling-payload
!
interface ATM2/6
no ip address
shutdown
no atm ilmi-keepalive
no scrambling-payload
!
interface ATM2/7
no ip address
shutdown
no atm ilmi-keepalive
no scrambling-payload
!
interface ATM2/IMA1
no ip address
no atm ilmi-keepalive
ima test
!
interface ATM2/IMA1.1 point-to-point
ip unnumbered Loopback1
atm route-bridged ip
pvc 1/1
encapsulation aal5snap

Giovanni Navarrette

Yo -

Do the actual T1's go down or does the group go down? Also..., do the
ATM links you have support IMA? I thought there was a certain type of
configuration needed for ATM circuits running in an IMA bundle...

What does the output of 'show ima int atm2/ima1 detailed' show ya?

-
Giovanni Navarrette

xxx wrote:
> I have a 3640 with a 8 port ATM IMA Card.
>
> I have two ATM links going to the local Telco.
>
> The links are fine until I ad them to the IMA Group and then they go down.
>
> What could be wrong with my config?
> interface ATM2/0
> no ip address
> no atm oversubscribe
> no atm ilmi-keepalive
> ima-group 1
> no scrambling-payload
> !
> interface ATM2/1
> no ip address
> no atm oversubscribe
> no atm ilmi-keepalive
> ima-group 1
> no scrambling-payload
> !
> interface ATM2/2
> no ip address
> shutdown
> no atm ilmi-keepalive
> no scrambling-payload
> !
> interface ATM2/3
> no ip address
> shutdown
> no atm ilmi-keepalive
> no scrambling-payload
> !
> interface ATM2/4
> no ip address
> shutdown
> no atm ilmi-keepalive
> no scrambling-payload
> !
> interface ATM2/5
> no ip address
> shutdown
> no atm ilmi-keepalive
> no scrambling-payload
> !
> interface ATM2/6
> no ip address
> shutdown
> no atm ilmi-keepalive
> no scrambling-payload
> !
> interface ATM2/7
> no ip address
> shutdown
> no atm ilmi-keepalive
> no scrambling-payload
> !
> interface ATM2/IMA1
> no ip address
> no atm ilmi-keepalive
> ima test
> !
> interface ATM2/IMA1.1 point-to-point
> ip unnumbered Loopback1
> atm route-bridged ip
> pvc 1/1
> encapsulation aal5snap

xxx

Well, actuall the line protocol goes down.

Here is the output of "sh ima int atm2/ima1 detailed":

Interface ATM2/IMA1 is down
Group index is 49
Ne state is insufficientLinks, failure status is insufficientLinksNe
Active links bitmap 0x0
IMA Group Current Configuration:
Tx/Rx configured links bitmap 0x3/0x3
Tx/Rx minimum required links 1/1
Maximum allowed diff delay is 25ms, Tx frame length 128
Ne Tx clock mode CTC, configured timing reference link ATM2/0
Test pattern procedure is disabled
Detailed group Information:
Tx/Rx Ima_id 0x31/0x88, symmetry symmetricOperation
Number of Tx/Rx configured links 2/2
Number of Tx/Rx active links 0/0
Fe Tx clock mode ctc, Rx frame length 128
Tx/Rx timing reference link 0/3
Maximum observed diff delay 0ms, least delayed link 1
Running seconds 85
GTSM last changed 03:31:04 UTC Sat Mar 6 1993
IMA Group Current Counters (time elapsed 66 seconds):
12 Ne Failures, 13 Fe Failures, 84 Unavail Secs
IMA Group Total Counters (last 0 15 minute intervals):
0 Ne Failures, 0 Fe Failures, 0 Unavail Secs
Detailed IMA link Information:

Interface ATM2/0 is down
ifIndex 5, Group Index 49, Row Status is active
Tx/Rx Lid 0/2, relative delay 0ms
Ne Tx/Rx state unusableNoGivenReason/usable
Fe Tx/Rx state usable/notInGroup
Ne Rx failure status is noFailure
Fe Rx failure status is noFailure
Rx test pattern 0xFF, test procedure disabled
IMA Link Current Counters (time elapsed 73 seconds):
30 Ima Violations, 21 Oif Anomalies
10 Ne Severely Err Secs, 0 Fe Severely Err Secs
2 Ne Unavail Secs, 0 Fe Unavail Secs
93 Ne Tx Unusable Secs, 13 Ne Rx Unusable Secs
0 Fe Tx Unusable Secs, 0 Fe Rx Unusable Secs
0 Ne Tx Failures, 2 Ne Rx Failures
0 Fe Tx Failures, 0 Fe Rx Failures
IMA Link Total Counters (last 0 15 minute intervals):
0 Ima Violations, 0 Oif Anomalies
0 Ne Severely Err Secs, 0 Fe Severely Err Secs
0 Ne Unavail Secs, 0 Fe Unavail Secs
0 Ne Tx Unusable Secs, 0 Ne Rx Unusable Secs
0 Fe Tx Unusable Secs, 0 Fe Rx Unusable Secs
0 Ne Tx Failures, 0 Ne Rx Failures
0 Fe Tx Failures, 0 Fe Rx Failures

Interface ATM2/1 is down
ifIndex 6, Group Index 49, Row Status is active
Tx/Rx Lid 1/3, relative delay 0ms
Ne Tx/Rx state unusableNoGivenReason/usable
Fe Tx/Rx state usable/notInGroup
Ne Rx failure status is noFailure
Fe Rx failure status is noFailure
Rx test pattern 0xFF, test procedure disabled
IMA Link Current Counters (time elapsed 22 seconds):
1 Ima Violations, 1 Oif Anomalies
1 Ne Severely Err Secs, 0 Fe Severely Err Secs
0 Ne Unavail Secs, 0 Fe Unavail Secs
29 Ne Tx Unusable Secs, 1 Ne Rx Unusable Secs
0 Fe Tx Unusable Secs, 0 Fe Rx Unusable Secs
0 Ne Tx Failures, 0 Ne Rx Failures
0 Fe Tx Failures, 0 Fe Rx Failures
IMA Link Total Counters (last 0 15 minute intervals):
0 Ima Violations, 0 Oif Anomalies
0 Ne Severely Err Secs, 0 Fe Severely Err Secs
0 Ne Unavail Secs, 0 Fe Unavail Secs
0 Ne Tx Unusable Secs, 0 Ne Rx Unusable Secs
0 Fe Tx Unusable Secs, 0 Fe Rx Unusable Secs
0 Ne Tx Failures, 0 Ne Rx Failures
0 Fe Tx Failures, 0 Fe Rx Failures

Thanks,

Mel

"Giovanni Navarrette" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:401e8035$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yo -
>
> Do the actual T1's go down or does the group go down? Also..., do the
> ATM links you have support IMA? I thought there was a certain type of
> configuration needed for ATM circuits running in an IMA bundle...
>
> What does the output of 'show ima int atm2/ima1 detailed' show ya?
>
> -
> Giovanni Navarrette
> (E-Mail Removed)
>

> xxx wrote:
> > I have a 3640 with a 8 port ATM IMA Card.
> >
> > I have two ATM links going to the local Telco.
> >
> > The links are fine until I ad them to the IMA Group and then they go

> [...]

xxx

Also, If I do a shut then noshut Debug reports this:

*Mar 6 03:36:06.722: IMA reset group ATM2/IMA1
*Mar 6 03:36:06.726: IMA allocate_channel: ATM2/IMA1 using channel 0.
*Mar 6 03:36:06.726: IMA firmware created group ATM2/IMA1, with link bitmap
0x3
, timing ref link 0
*Mar 6 03:36:06.726: IMA stop AIS on link ATM2/0
*Mar 6 03:36:06.726: VNET ifindex 49
*Mar 6 03:36:06.726: VNET ifindex 5
*Mar 6 03:36:06.726: IMA stop AIS on link ATM2/1
*Mar 6 03:36:06.726: VNET ifindex 49
*Mar 6 03:36:06.726: VNET ifindex 6
*Mar 6 03:36:06.726: IMA config_restart ATM2/IMA1
*Mar 6 03:36:06.726: IMA restart ATM2/IMA1
*Mar 6 03:36:06.778: IMA Link up/down Alarm: port 0, new status 0x1,
old_status
0x2.
*Mar 6 03:36:06.782: IMA Link up/down Alarm: port 1, new status 0x1,
old_status
0x2.
*Mar 6 03:36:08.725: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface ATM2/IMA1, changed state to
up
*Mar 6 03:36:08.741: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface ATM2/0, changed state to up
*Mar 6 03:36:13.072: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface ATM2/IMA1, changed state to
down

*Mar 6 03:36:15.147: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface ATM2/0, changed state to
down

The interface seems to come up for just a sec then go down.

"Giovanni Navarrette" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:401e8035$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yo -
>
> Do the actual T1's go down or does the group go down? Also..., do the
> ATM links you have support IMA? I thought there was a certain type of
> configuration needed for ATM circuits running in an IMA bundle...
>
> What does the output of 'show ima int atm2/ima1 detailed' show ya?
>
> -
> Giovanni Navarrette
> (E-Mail Removed)
>

> xxx wrote:
> > I have a 3640 with a 8 port ATM IMA Card.
> >
> > I have two ATM links going to the local Telco.
> >
> > The links are fine until I ad them to the IMA Group and then they go

> [...]

Andrey Tarasov

Hello, xxx!
You wrote on Mon, 2 Feb 2004 13:47:19 -0500:

x> The interface seems to come up for just a sec then go down.

>>> atm route-bridged ip pvc 1/1 encapsulation aal5snap

Are you sure that VPI/VCI pair given to you by ISP is 1/1?

With best regards,
Andrey.

xxx

I am the ISP.

I'm trying to configure the ATM T1's to work with a IMA Group.

Mel

"Andrey Tarasov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvm843$2rn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello, xxx!
> You wrote on Mon, 2 Feb 2004 13:47:19 -0500:
>
> x> The interface seems to come up for just a sec then go down.

> Are you sure that VPI/VCI pair given to you by ISP is 1/1?
>
> With best regards,
> Andrey.

Giovanni Navarrette

Yo -

How about 'show controllers atm2/ima1'?

Right now it looks like that maybe the far-end equipment doesn't like
binding these 2 T1's. I know for our IMA bundle both ends needed to be
setup for IMA bonding (which T1's are allowed to bond, interfaces,
scrambling, etc).

-
Giovanni Navarrette
(E-Mail Removed)

xxx wrote:

> [...]
> 0 Ne Tx Failures, 0 Ne Rx Failures
> 0 Fe Tx Failures, 0 Fe Rx Failures
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mel
>

> "Giovanni Navarrette" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:401e8035$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Yo -
>>
>>Do the actual T1's go down or does the group go down? Also..., do the
>>ATM links you have support IMA? I thought there was a certain type of
>>configuration needed for ATM circuits running in an IMA bundle...
>>
>>What does the output of 'show ima int atm2/ima1 detailed' show ya?
>>
>>-
>>Giovanni Navarrette
>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>

>>xxx wrote:
>>
>>>I have a 3640 with a 8 port ATM IMA Card.
>>>
>>>I have two ATM links going to the local Telco.
>>>
>>>The links are fine until I ad them to the IMA Group and then they go

The FE at the Telco is a Alcatell Switch and the Telco had to enable
"compatibility Mode"
for that Unit.

Thanks,

Mel