Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > QUESTION

QUESTION

Matt5883@aol.com

What is python 2.1.1? How did it get on my computer? Is it a necessary
program? Can I safely delete it/remove it? If so how? I do not recall
downloading it. Does it come bundled with some other program? Maybe one of my kids did
it. I do not see enough information on your site to make these
determinations. I have a Compaq 5184 with OEM Win 98 installed...I do not ever recall
seeing "python" in the programs. I have been having alot of problems with my
computer lately and I am removing unecessary "junk"
Thanks,
Matt

Simon Bayling

Python is a popular programming language. The program "c:\python2.1
\Python.exe" is required to run applications written in Python, so it
most likely was installed by something else.

Check c:\python21\INSTALL.LOG if there is one, it should tell you the
date and time it was installed, if that's any help.

Regarding whether you can safely delete it or not...
That depends on where it came from. If it is required by another program,
that program will break if Python suddenly disappears.

In itself it is not going to be causing problems, and no-one here is
going to classify it as 'unecessary junk'!

I suggest you go to a tutorial and start learning Python
If that doesn't interest you, try renaming the folder and using your PC
for a while... if nothing you want to keep suddenly breaks then you can
most likely safely remove it.

Cheers,
Simon.

news:(E-Mail Removed):

> What is python 2.1.1? How did it get on my computer? Is it a
> necessary program? Can I safely delete it/remove it? If so how? I
> do not recall downloading it. Does it come bundled with some other
> program? Maybe one of my kids did it. I do not see enough information
> on your site to make these determinations. I have a Compaq 5184 with
> OEM Win 98 installed...I do not ever recall seeing "python" in the
> programs. I have been having alot of problems with my computer lately
> and I am removing unecessary "junk" Thanks,
> Matt

Andrew Wilkinson

Simon Bayling wrote:
> I suggest you go to a tutorial and start learning Python
> If that doesn't interest you, try renaming the folder and using your PC
> for a while... if nothing you want to keep suddenly breaks then you can
> most likely safely remove it.

If your pc does still work ok having renamed it, I would rename it back to
Python, and then try and run the uninstaller. This will remove any registry
entries and file type associations.

HTH,
Andrew Wilkinson

--
Quiet! You'll miss the humorous conclusion