Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: anything new on the ternary operator?

Re: anything new on the ternary operator?

Andrew Dalke

Moshe Zadka:
> Well, to be quite honest, there were some "New Europe" attendees. The
> most excellent Lithuanians, and yours truly.

As well as some of us 'mericans. 6, if I interpreted the stats correctly.

Andrew

Erik Max Francis

Moshe Zadka wrote:

> I'm sorry, I was going to let this slide by, but this comment made it
> impossible. How the hell do you figure EuroPython, the biggest Python
> conference in Europe and largely equivalent to the size of PyCon, is a
> "local" conference?

After I posted that, I figured someone would probably take exception to
that term in order to stir things up. "Local" was merely meant to mean
that it is located in a particular area on the planet Earth which it is
less convenient for certain other people to attend. Yes, of course
that's true for every possible choice of locations. It was not meant as
a slight. (And, to trump your next response, yes, I know you do not
hail from Europe.)

The point is the decision wasn't announced publicly, in this
list/newsgroup (which reaches a much wider audience of Python users,
wouldn't you say?) or on the python.org Web site (which reaches an even
wider audience); it was mentioned in one presentation in a conference.
If you didn't attend to the conference, or _did_ attend the conference
and didn't happen to attend his presentation, you wouldn't have heard
about it except indirectly, which is precisely what's happening for many
of us here.

After all, as I write this, the PEP _still_ has not been updated with
the decision.

> Guido said that he wanted to let the discussion simmer down before he
> made
> an official pronouncement.

Sure, but did it really take six months to mull it over?

--
Erik Max Francis && (E-Mail Removed) && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/ \ We're here to preserve democracy, not to practice it.

Michael Hudson

Erik Max Francis <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> There's not much doubt that the conditional operator will not be making
> it into Python in the future, but just because the BDFL has made a
> decree (although a significantly delayed one), it's a little naive to
> think that discussion of it will not continue. This clause was in the
> PEP ("the subject better not come up again"), but I'm not sure how this
> clause will really have much effect.

Slightly astonishingly, this does really seem to work. Consider PEP 666.

Cheers,
M.

--
If I didn't have my part-time performance art income to help pay
the bills, I could never afford to support my programming

Skip Montanaro

>> [The consensus in EP was that Israel was in Europe]

Alia> Sorry, I am confused: isn't Israel in the Middle East?

Sure, but what continent is the the Middle East in, Europe, Asia or Africa?
I had to make the same decision in Musi-Cal. I decided that Israel was part
of Europe. The decision wasn't entirely arbitrary. Most concert dates we
list for Asia are in Japan, Korea or Hong Kong. There are almost never any
African concert dates listed. Israel was close enough to Europe that it
made sense to group it there.

Skip

Moshe Zadka

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Skip Montanaro <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Sure, but what continent is the the Middle East in, Europe, Asia or Africa?
> I had to make the same decision in Musi-Cal. I decided that Israel was part
> of Europe. The decision wasn't entirely arbitrary. Most concert dates we
> list for Asia are in Japan, Korea or Hong Kong. There are almost never any
> African concert dates listed. Israel was close enough to Europe that it
> made sense to group it there.

Of course, for a music thingy it makes double the sense -- we're on the
Eurovision, which may effect concert dates.
[Of course, some may think grouping the eurovision with music is worse
than grouping Israel with Europe ]
--
Moshe Zadka -- http://moshez.org/
Buffy: I don't like you hanging out with someone that... short.

Robin Becker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Fredrik
Lundh <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>if we'd known that you folks would end up this bitter, we would
>have given you one point
>
></F>

..... even though I helped in recording the awful 'Puppet On A String'
back in the dark ages, not getting any points is a high point in
Britain's Eurovision career. With any luck we can consign this awfulness
to the dustbin of history. Perhaps we can make Guantanamo part of Europe
and send it there for a quickie death sentence.
--
Robin Becker

Mark Jackson

Robin Becker <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> the Middle East is certainly not in Europe at least according to
> classical authors, historians & geographers. Asia begins across the
> Hellespont so asiatic Turkey, Iraq, Syria, Palestine are not in Europe
> and neither is the Israeli territory. I suspect Israelis would prefer to
> be in America so that they wouldn't have to take part in the Eurovision
> song contest.

I'm sure there must be an opt-out clause for Eurovision contests - I
certainly don't recall Israeli teams competing in It's a Knockout /
Jeux Sans Frontieres back in 1977.

On the other hand as part of America they might have gotten roped into
Almost Anything Goes.

It is necessary to be slightly underemployed if you want to
do something significant. - James D. Watson