Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > anything new on the ternary operator?

anything new on the ternary operator?

Tor

What's the current status on the ternary operator that may or may not be
added to python. Haven't heard much about that since the vote was announced
for a couple of months ago. What's the best way to follow that dicussion?
Or are we just waiting for the developers to make their decision?

Sean Ross

From Guido's EuroPython 2003 "State of the Python Union" slides
http://www.europython.org/Talks/Slid...n_euro2003.ppt

Conditional Expressions
- Vote in March
- (if C: x else: y) won the vote
- But not by a landslide
- Now in Filibuster mode
- When in doubt, don't change it
- Competing forces:
- feature bloat
- handy feature

Tor

(if C: x else: z)

Was this the winning syntax? I think I saw it somewhere without the
parentheses, in something written by GvR. This syntax would have been great
without the parentheses. A bit messy with them, especially when they really
don't add any readability, like this
return if C1: x elif C2: y else: z

Why are the parentheses neccessary (and are they really)?

Erik Max Francis

Tor wrote:

> (if C: x else: z)
>
> Was this the winning syntax?

Best way to answer this is to just read PEP 308:

http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0308.html

--
Erik Max Francis && http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/ \ To be adult is to be alone.