Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Building Python - how to set include and lib paths?

Re: Building Python - how to set include and lib paths?

Lack Mr G M

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Curly Joe <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
|> Lack Mr G M wrote (snipped):
|> I'm trying to build (compile and link) Python2.2.3,
|> However, I need to indicate where it can find various
|> library and header files for other extensions which I
|> have already built (things like ssl etc.).
|>
|> There are two simple ways that I know of:
|> 1 - add it to, and export the PYTHONPATH variable -
|> mine is in ~/.bash_profile on a Gentoo Linux box.
|> Your shell and/or profile file name may be different.
|> 2 - probably not what you want, but
|> .../python/site_python should be in your PYTHONPATH
|> and so you could place you programs there.

No - that's not the problem. I know I can set that up for pyhton
modules at run time. My problem occurs when I am *building* python
itself. There seem to be no way that I can tell it where to look for
header files and libraries for other packages/utilities (eg: SSL) that I
have previously installed or how to add these to compilation and linking
options.. It hard-wires /usr/local/{include,lib} for these.

--
--------- Gordon Lack --------------- http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) ------------
This message *may* reflect my personal opinion. It is *not* intended

Theodor Rash

Lack Mr G M wrote:

> ... My problem occurs when I am *building* python
> itself. There seem to be no way that I can tell it where to look for
> header files and libraries for other packages/utilities (eg: SSL) that I
> have previously installed or how to add these to compilation and linking
> options.. It hard-wires /usr/local/{include,lib} for these.

That's right. I had to patch setup.py to make it find Tcl/Tk which resides
under /opt in my system.
Theo