Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > FYI: pyBoards.com

FYI: pyBoards.com

Peter Hansen

Aahz wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Peter Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >Google Groups likely takes its feed directly of a Usenet site, and Usenet
> >in general suffers from large propagation delay. It is that delay, caused
> >by messages filtering slowly across the Usenet network, which leads to the
> >"5 answers" problem, not Google Groups itself.

> Actually, Google uses at least two or three feeds (including
> stanford.edu, which has a super-competent news admin), and Usenet
> propagation is actually little short of e-mail speeds these days,
> depending on where you're located.

That might be, but empirically I've seen posts that I've made take
hours to get there, and I've seen posts that were made to the mailing
list (and copied to me directly) take hours to get there. In both
cases, there is an "upwards" propagation delay towards whatever hosts
Google is milking before stanford.edu or the others will see it...

Aahz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Peter Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Aahz wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Peter Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>Google Groups likely takes its feed directly of a Usenet site, and Usenet
>>>in general suffers from large propagation delay. It is that delay, caused
>>>by messages filtering slowly across the Usenet network, which leads to the
>>>"5 answers" problem, not Google Groups itself.

>> Actually, Google uses at least two or three feeds (including
>> stanford.edu, which has a super-competent news admin), and Usenet
>> propagation is actually little short of e-mail speeds these days,
>> depending on where you're located.

>That might be, but empirically I've seen posts that I've made take
>hours to get there, and I've seen posts that were made to the mailing
>list (and copied to me directly) take hours to get there. In both
>cases, there is an "upwards" propagation delay towards whatever hosts
>Google is milking before stanford.edu or the others will see it...

Peter, you're thinking less clearly than usual. My point was that
the delay does *not* come from the time it takes to propagate to Google,
but from the delay required to index and publish the index. Google's
indexing technology is nothing short of amazing, but it is poor for
realtime updating of the index. In the past, they have generally
updated the index only twice per day -- and quite frankly, given *my*
experience with full-text indexing (I used to work for Verity), I
consider that to be *frequent* updating given how bloody fast Google's
index is.

Usenet is not a democracy. It is a weird cross between an anarchy and a
dictatorship.

Bengt Richter

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 18:30:22 -0400, Peter Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Aahz wrote:
>>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Peter Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >
>> >Google Groups likely takes its feed directly of a Usenet site, and Usenet
>> >in general suffers from large propagation delay. It is that delay, caused
>> >by messages filtering slowly across the Usenet network, which leads to the
>> >"5 answers" problem, not Google Groups itself.

>> Actually, Google uses at least two or three feeds (including
>> stanford.edu, which has a super-competent news admin), and Usenet
>> propagation is actually little short of e-mail speeds these days,
>> depending on where you're located.

>That might be, but empirically I've seen posts that I've made take
>hours to get there, and I've seen posts that were made to the mailing
>list (and copied to me directly) take hours to get there. In both
>cases, there is an "upwards" propagation delay towards whatever hosts
>Google is milking before stanford.edu or the others will see it...

Well, compare just in this thread how stuff got to me
(I broke paths with '\\' for clarity and removed return addresses):
===============================
From: (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hannu_Kankaanp=E4=E4?=)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python

From: Paul McNett
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python

From: Peter Hansen
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python

From: (Aahz)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python

From: Peter Hansen
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
!nntpserver.com!chi1.webusenet.com!c03.atl99!cyclo ne2.usenetserver.com\
!newsfeeds-atl1!news.webusenet.com!newsfeed.on.tac.net!news.s entex.net!not-for-mail
===============================
Note that path from Peter was not the same both times.
Then, looking at one of my own posts in another thread:

From: (Bengt Richter)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python

Regards,
Bengt Richter

Van Gale

Behrang Dadsetan wrote:
> Does anyone know about message board systems written in python?
>
> Ben.

I don't know of any polished ones, but there are a few for Zope/Plone.
I don't have any links immediately handy other than
(still-in-planning-stage?) Ploneboard:

http://plone.org/Members/tesdal/Plon...Wiki/FrontPage

There's also a minimal feature one called qxbb that I think is linked
from the Quixote site.

Van