Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python is a gem, you need to keep pushing it ....

Reply
Thread Tools

Python is a gem, you need to keep pushing it ....

 
 
Graeme Matthew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-03-2003
Hi all, I just wanted to tell someone

I was previously a perl programmer and have been a visual basic frustrated
developer for a number of years, only for the reason that corporates are so
obsessed with using proprietary marketing focused computer languages and not
using true computer science oriented solutions written by computer science
engineers and not a marketing panel. The amount of frustration I have
experienced using visual basic is unbelievable and most of these programs
could have been easily written in python and solved in half the time. I
looked at ruby, it is a beautiful language too but there are still too many
scarce libraries compared to python. Perl, I still like perl but its syntax
requires a photographic memory when coming back to some old code.

I have now taken on a large project outside of work for another company,
initially they, yes wait for it, wanted a VB client / server solution. It
took me lot of hard motivation and they have now totally changed their
focus, a web based python solution it now is ! who said one cannot market
linux, python and mysql ? I hope to have the project completed in 6 months
and I am looking forward to adding it to one of python's success stories.

So the whole point of this email is that if a lot of you are hitting the
same frustration as myself where managers (and people who think Microsoft
invented everything well except a watch you need to recharge every 2 days
keep on insisting on developing in the basket case Microsoft Languages
such as VB (I am not mentioning C or C++ as it does not fall into this
bracket) then dont give up, keep up the evangelism, as someday they will
give in .... and let you prove it too them

Cheers




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
delphiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-03-2003
Same story here,

My company primarily uses Delphi (Object Pascal) which is actualy a nice development language / IDE but with linux as a rising star and Kylix as a nasty and not-so-friendly-and-platform-indepandent Delphi-clone we have decided to use Python for a number of small projects. As a python addict I really hope this works out! No offence, but I'd rather be using Emacs and Python than the Delphi IDE. It is so much more fun and it runs on Linux *and* Windows (ok and more.. but those are our target OS'es).

We now have a team of 4 Python addicts trying to convince our bosses and the 30+ Delphi developers. I realy hope this works out

Regards,
Rob

--
[-------------delphiro-------------]
[-- http://pyciv.sourceforge.net --]
[----------------------------------]

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Thomas Weholt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-03-2003
I've been a hardcore python evangelist for 4-5 years, but in my experience
most developers are conservative when it comes to programming languages.
They tend to stick to what they know and avoid everything else. Especially
coders using compiled languages like Delphi/Pascal. They know some VB or
Perl and laugh when I bring up Python. But don't loose faith.

Thomas

"delphiro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Same story here,
>
> My company primarily uses Delphi (Object Pascal) which is actualy a nice

development language / IDE but with linux as a rising star and Kylix as a
nasty and not-so-friendly-and-platform-indepandent Delphi-clone we have
decided to use Python for a number of small projects. As a python addict I
really hope this works out! No offence, but I'd rather be using Emacs and
Python than the Delphi IDE. It is so much more fun and it runs on Linux
*and* Windows (ok and more.. but those are our target OS'es).
>
> We now have a team of 4 Python addicts trying to convince our bosses and

the 30+ Delphi developers. I realy hope this works out
>
> Regards,
> Rob
>
> --
> [-------------delphiro-------------]
> [-- http://pyciv.sourceforge.net --]
> [----------------------------------]
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Carter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-03-2003
> same frustration as myself where managers (and people who think Microsoft
> invented everything well except a watch you need to recharge every 2 days


"Me too". I am a programmer at a firm of engineers. They're fixated by
all things Microsoft. I try to explain to them that, perhaps, not
*everything* is best done on Excel using VBA. I happened to glance at
a proposal for a large job (for them) that they were bidding for; and
it stated that it was to be based on Microsoft Access. *Groan*. Honest
to God, if it doesn't have coloured cells all over the place, then
they kind of stare at you like rabbits caught in the headlights of an
oncoming car. Attempts to tell them that all this guff is difficult to
put under version control because it's a binary ... you should
separate code from data ... blah blah ... well, I might as well talk
to a brick wall.

Rant over. For now.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Cameron Laird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-04-2003
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
delphiro <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Same story here,
>
>My company primarily uses Delphi (Object Pascal) which is actualy a nice
>development language / IDE but with linux as a rising star and Kylix as
>a nasty and not-so-friendly-and-platform-indepandent Delphi-clone we
>have decided to use Python for a number of small projects. As a python

.
.
.
How is Kylix "nasty and not-so-friendly"? I
generally think of it as rather polished and
useful.
--

Cameron Laird <(E-Mail Removed)>
Business: http://www.Phaseit.net
Personal: http://phaseit.net/claird/home.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Stephen Ferg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-04-2003
Absolutely! Gotta keep pushing!

If you get into a situation where a presentation -- to management, or
to other programmers -- would be useful, I've created what I hope will
be a helpful resource -- the Python Slideshow Presentations page:

http://www.ferg.org/python_presentations/index.html

-- Steve Ferg
 
Reply With Quote
 
Graeme Matthew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2003
sorry guys, i was just praising python not trying to cause a theoretical
bitch fight, for my purposes it the best language out there, if you need to
write device driver fine use C ...
"Graeme Matthew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0gVMa.126$a%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all, I just wanted to tell someone
>
> I was previously a perl programmer and have been a visual basic frustrated
> developer for a number of years, only for the reason that corporates are

so
> obsessed with using proprietary marketing focused computer languages and

not
> using true computer science oriented solutions written by computer science
> engineers and not a marketing panel. The amount of frustration I have
> experienced using visual basic is unbelievable and most of these programs
> could have been easily written in python and solved in half the time. I
> looked at ruby, it is a beautiful language too but there are still too

many
> scarce libraries compared to python. Perl, I still like perl but its

syntax
> requires a photographic memory when coming back to some old code.
>
> I have now taken on a large project outside of work for another company,
> initially they, yes wait for it, wanted a VB client / server solution. It
> took me lot of hard motivation and they have now totally changed their
> focus, a web based python solution it now is ! who said one cannot market
> linux, python and mysql ? I hope to have the project completed in 6 months
> and I am looking forward to adding it to one of python's success stories.
>
> So the whole point of this email is that if a lot of you are hitting the
> same frustration as myself where managers (and people who think Microsoft
> invented everything well except a watch you need to recharge every 2 days
> keep on insisting on developing in the basket case Microsoft

Languages
> such as VB (I am not mentioning C or C++ as it does not fall into this
> bracket) then dont give up, keep up the evangelism, as someday they will
> give in .... and let you prove it too them
>
> Cheers
>
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How keep python socket alive for ever by setting Keep alive flag. hisan Python 1 06-25-2012 05:30 PM
Why do the keep pushing skype radioham UK VOIP 41 09-19-2006 01:35 AM
pushing python to multiple windows machines shkelley@gmail.com Python 2 10-21-2005 04:52 PM
RE: Python is a gem, you need to keep pushing it .... sismex01@hebmex.com Python 2 07-04-2003 07:14 PM
Re: Python is a gem, you need to keep pushing it .... delphiro Python 1 07-04-2003 03:30 PM



Advertisments