Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Clever One Liners

Re: Clever One Liners

Curly Joe

I agree with you, especially since the compiler, in
most cases, must break everything down into single
steps anyway. Take for instance a very simple
example:
x = a + b/c
The compiler would execute this as:
x = b/c
x += a
While most people would no do this, we do have a
problem with "line bloat" software. It would likely
take someone who is debugging the program for the
first time longer to figure out one of these twisted
contortions than it took the original programmer to
create it in the first place (and perhaps that's the
point). If someone asks how to do something on one
line or in the shortest amount of space, that's
another situation, but for many of the questions it is
obvious that the person is new to Python and sometimes
to programming, which means their response would be
"Huh? I don't have a clue as to what that means."

Michael Chermside wrote:
I'm not picking on you in particular, there have been
several people
doing this lately, but I'd like to ask folks to please
lay off the
quest for one-liners.

http://sbc.yahoo.com