Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > PIX 515-6.3.3 high mem usage

PIX 515-6.3.3 high mem usage

Ward

Hi,

Our PIX (r) continuously uses 31mb of its 32mb ram.
Shouldn't this fluctuate with traffic ? Even when traffic is low, the mem
usage doesn't drop.

thx

Ward

axxxxx# show mem detail
Free memory: 1072352 bytes
Used memory:
Allocated memory in use: 26315476 bytes
Reserved memory: 6166604 bytes
----------------------------- ----------------
Total memory: 33554432 bytes

----- fragmented memory statistics -----

fragment size count total
(bytes) (bytes)
---------------- ---------- --------------
16 6 96
24 4 96
32 3 96
104 5 520
112 2 224
120 6 720
128 5 640
136 5 680
144 5 720
152 1 152
160 3 480
168 6 1008
176 4 704
184 1 184
192 1 192
200 1 200
208 2 416
216 1 216
224 1 224
240 3 720
248 1 248
256 2 512
272 2 544
280 1 280
288 11 3168
304 1 304
328 2 656
344 1 344
368 1 368
416 1 416
432 1 432
1912 1 1912*
14856 1 14856
16656 2 35120
22664 1 22664
39152 2 78320
61440 1 61440
839680 1 839680**

* - top most releasable chunk.
** - contiguous memory on top of heap.

----- allocated memory statistics -----

fragment size count total
(bytes) (bytes)
---------------- ---------- --------------
96 1 96
104 8 832
112 18 2016
120 16 1920
128 9 1152
136 37 5032
144 5 720
152 48 7296
184 2 368
200 4 800
216 1 216
224 5 1120
232 1 232
256 1 256
264 596 157344
272 1 272
280 2 560
304 1 304
344 1 344
352 147 51744
360 3 1080
408 2 816
416 1 416
424 2 848
496 2 992
512 47 24064
576 2 1152
768 1 768
1408 295 415360
1600 4 6400
1984 1 1984
3072 7 21504
4096 36 147456
5120 2 10240
7168 1 7168
8192 18 147456
10240 1 10240
18944 24 454656
27136 2 54272
31232 4 124928
39424 4 157696
43520 1 43520
76288 15 1144320
141824 7 992768
174592 3 523776
436736 9 3930624
698880 15 10483200

Walter Roberson

In article <Xns9480AC633653Awardgermonpreverhels@195.130.132. 70>,
Ward <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Our PIX (r) continuously uses 31mb of its 32mb ram.
:Shouldn't this fluctuate with traffic ? Even when traffic is low, the mem
:usage doesn't drop.

:axxxxx# show mem detail
:Free memory: 1072352 bytes
:Used memory:
: Allocated memory in use: 26315476 bytes
: Reserved memory: 6166604 bytes
:----------------------------- ----------------
:Total memory: 33554432 bytes

I checked our PIXes, and they all have more free memory than
that. Even the 501 has twice that much memory free even though it
has only half the RAM of your 515. Our 525 has about ten times
as much free memory as you have.

Question: are you using compiled ACLs? If so, then as an
experiment you might want to turn off compilation and see
how that affects your memory over time.
--
The Knights Of The Lambda Calculus aren't dead --this is their normal form!

Ward

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in
news:bve8mn$hi2$(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <Xns9480AC633653Awardgermonpreverhels@195.130.132. 70>,
> Ward <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>:Our PIX (r) continuously uses 31mb of its 32mb ram.
>:Shouldn't this fluctuate with traffic ? Even when traffic is low, the
>:mem usage doesn't drop.
>
>:axxxxx# show mem detail
>:Free memory: 1072352 bytes
>:Used memory:
>: Allocated memory in use: 26315476 bytes
>: Reserved memory: 6166604 bytes
>:----------------------------- ----------------
>:Total memory: 33554432 bytes
>
> I checked our PIXes, and they all have more free memory than
> that. Even the 501 has twice that much memory free even though it
> has only half the RAM of your 515. Our 525 has about ten times
> as much free memory as you have.
>
> Question: are you using compiled ACLs? If so, then as an
> experiment you might want to turn off compilation and see
> how that affects your memory over time.

No we don't use compiled acl's, but we do use pdm's monitoring
facilities. After reboot the mem footprint is about 16mb. Once it hits
+/-31 mb, everything slows to a crawl. Only rebooting helps. I turned off
logging now.

thx for your reply

Ward