Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Using Python as a tool for testing homogeneous systems

Re: Using Python as a tool for testing homogeneous systems

Irmen de Jong

Andy Jewell wrote:

> Python is *too* damned good: and they haven't made me stop using
> it at work, either; in fact I've just spent a few weeks doing some really
> intensive Python development... to test RPG code!

[...]

> So, Python scores again!

Thanks for sharing this interesting story!
I always like to hear how other people do things,
and it is even nicer to know that they have (unexpected?)
success in doing so!

Regards,
--Irmen de Jong

Roy Smith

>> Python is *too* damned good: and they haven't made me stop using
>> it at work, either; in fact I've just spent a few weeks doing some
>> really intensive Python development... to test RPG code!

I don't see anything strange about that. I used to work on a system
that included a lot of TCL and SQL. I wrote a lot of QA tools for that
stuff in Python.

Andy Jewell

On Friday 27 Jun 2003 8:37 pm, Roy Smith wrote:
> >> Python is *too* damned good: and they haven't made me stop using
> >> it at work, either; in fact I've just spent a few weeks doing some
> >> really intensive Python development... to test RPG code!

> I don't see anything strange about that. I used to work on a system
> that included a lot of TCL and SQL. I wrote a lot of QA tools for that
> stuff in Python.

Not strange, per se, Roy, just strange for my company, which has a
track-history of skimping on such things as testing.

More importantly, I feel this is a mile-stone, marking the beginning of proper
formalised testing methods.

For the record, I always knew Python was good at such things (at least since I
started using it anyway). Many, many postings here in c.l.py have proven
this as time has gone by.

I wasn't trying to claim a 'first', nore even to be breaking new ground. I
just wanted to congratulate the collective on a small, but to me, significant
success.

-andyj