Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Catalyst 2950 CISCO Loop packets

Catalyst 2950 CISCO Loop packets

Nawak

I have some raw ethernet devices that needs to be interconnected to
eachothers.
I use a catalyst 2950 switch to interconnect them. Since I use the multicast
"routing" feature of the switch (device A sends multicast ethernet packets
to B and D but not C while C sends multicast packets to B and A etc.), I
cannot replace it with a simple hub.
My problem is that the switch spontaneously sends packets to devices
connected to it.
I already managed to shut down CDP, VTP and Spanning Tree packets but 'CISCO
Loop packets' are still sent...

Does anyone knows how to prevent the switch from sending those loop packets?

Thanks!

PS: The IOS version is 12.1(6)EA2a...

Steinar Haug

["Nawak"]

| I already managed to shut down CDP, VTP and Spanning Tree packets but 'CISCO
| Loop packets' are still sent...
|
| Does anyone knows how to prevent the switch from sending those loop packets?

"no keepalive"

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Hansang Bae

In article <40190402$0$19274$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I have some raw ethernet devices that needs to be interconnected to
> eachothers.
> I use a catalyst 2950 switch to interconnect them. Since I use the multicast
> "routing" feature of the switch (device A sends multicast ethernet packets
> to B and D but not C while C sends multicast packets to B and A etc.), I
> cannot replace it with a simple hub.
> My problem is that the switch spontaneously sends packets to devices
> connected to it.
> I already managed to shut down CDP, VTP and Spanning Tree packets but 'CISCO
> Loop packets' are still sent...
>
> Does anyone knows how to prevent the switch from sending those loop packets?

You're looking for "no keepalive" But if use it, the port basically
stays up no matter what. You will not detect failed devices.

--

hsb