Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: editing text file

Re: editing text file

Tim Rowe

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:05:53 +0200, ataraxia2500
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> is there a function that can search for specific words in a text file (kind
>of like grep) and change them?
>say in my text file there's a line such as:
>[myvalue]=X
>
>and my function would search the line [myvalue] and replace X by Y.
>
>any suggestions?
>
>thanx in advance

Use a for line in file.readlines() loop and the re module for your
matching. Though, to be honest, if that's all you want to do then
Python is probably an overkill; there's probably a port of sed for
your platform, whatever platform it is, and I reckon that would be the
appropriate level of tool.