Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: XML

Re: XML

Ben Finney

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:49:16 +0400 (MSD), Roman Suzi wrote:
> OK. When I was talking about plain text, I had in mind that it has
> some proprietary format. For example, I can easily write:
>
> ------------------
> foo = "123"
> bar = "456"
> zoo = "la\"lala"
> ------------------
>
> And it's not very hard to parse that.
> In case of XML I will need something like
>
><?xml version="1.0"?>

This, then, is a poor choice for XML. Where XML has the advantage over
flat ASCII text, is when the structure is more complex, especially if
it's hierarchical (which a heck of a lot of data is). Then a flat ASCII
file is too difficult for a human to parse *anyway*, so you might as
well take advantage of XML and still have all the advantages of having
the data readable in some form.

Bleh, that reads terribly. Hope I get the point across -- XML formats
don't give any particular advantage over simple, record-based flat ASCII
data; they do give advantage once the structure needs to become more
complex.

--
\ "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers." -- |
`\ Pablo Picasso |