Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > syscalls.h or equivalent in cygwin or Linux

syscalls.h or equivalent in cygwin or Linux

Jan van Mansum

Hello group,

I am reading Chapter 8 from "The C Programming Language" about
interfacing with the Unix system. I wanted to try out some of the
examples on Cygwin. However, the header "syscalls.h" is not found in
Cygwin. I have tried to locate the declarations for the read and write
functions I was trying to use, but no luck.

I know that "syscalls.h" is not part of standard C. I also tried on
Linux, just to make sure that this is not a Cygwin-only problem.

Thanks for any help,
Regards,
Jan van Mansum.

Jack Klein

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 16:46:06 +0200, Jan van Mansum <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in comp.lang.c:

> Hello group,
>
> I am reading Chapter 8 from "The C Programming Language" about
> interfacing with the Unix system. I wanted to try out some of the
> examples on Cygwin. However, the header "syscalls.h" is not found in
> Cygwin. I have tried to locate the declarations for the read and write
> functions I was trying to use, but no luck.
>
> I know that "syscalls.h" is not part of standard C. I also tried on
> Linux, just to make sure that this is not a Cygwin-only problem.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Regards,
> Jan van Mansum.

System calls are, by definition, specific to the operating system and
not part of the C language. As such they are off-topic and not
discussed here. You need to ask about them in platform specific
groups, such as news:comp.os.ms-windows.win32.programmer and

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

Régis Troadec

"Jan van Mansum" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:40c1dcab$0$65124$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
> Hello group,

Hi,

> I am reading Chapter 8 from "The C Programming Language" about
> interfacing with the Unix system. I wanted to try out some of the
> examples on Cygwin. However, the header "syscalls.h" is not found in
> Cygwin. I have tried to locate the declarations for the read and write
> functions I was trying to use, but no luck.

Read chapter 8 several times, you'll find that you must provide the
"syscalls.h" header.

Regis

Jan van Mansum

Jan van Mansum wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> I am reading Chapter 8 from "The C Programming Language" about
> interfacing with the Unix system. I wanted to try out some of the
> examples on Cygwin. However, the header "syscalls.h" is not found in
> Cygwin. I have tried to locate the declarations for the read and write
> functions I was trying to use, but no luck.
>
> I know that "syscalls.h" is not part of standard C. I also tried on
> Linux, just to make sure that this is not a Cygwin-only problem.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Regards,
> Jan van Mansum.

OK, it seems my copy of The Book is a bit outdated. Anyway I figured out
that the calls I was looking for are defined in <sys/unistd.h>.

Thanks anyway,
Jan van Mansum.

Jan van Mansum

> Read chapter 8 several times, you'll find that you must provide the
> "syscalls.h" header.
>
> Regis

You're right, I didn't read it well. Thanks,
regards,
Jan van Mansum.