Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Streamable File Format + Interactivity

Streamable File Format + Interactivity

zaemin

Hello,

I'm designing streamable animation format like flash.

I have some questions.

My animation format has interactive feature by script. A designer can
insert 'gotoFrame' action on the first frame to go to the end frame.
So the player should access data stream randomly(any position of data
stream at anytime). But in streaming case, the data for the end frame
may not be in the buffer when the action is performed on the first
frame. What can I do?

I wonder what the flash does in this case.(Just waiting until the data
of the end frame is downloaded?)

And does the flash read data stream randomly for interactivity?(like
me).

Please give me some idea. Thank you.

Martin Johansen

"zaemin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello,
>
> I'm designing streamable animation format like flash.
>
> I have some questions.
>
> My animation format has interactive feature by script. A designer can
> insert 'gotoFrame' action on the first frame to go to the end frame.
> So the player should access data stream randomly(any position of data
> stream at anytime). But in streaming case, the data for the end frame
> may not be in the buffer when the action is performed on the first
> frame. What can I do?

u can build a stream with nodes, then load them as u need, and during idle
time.

> I wonder what the flash does in this case.(Just waiting until the data
> of the end frame is downloaded?)
>
> And does the flash read data stream randomly for interactivity?(like
> me).
>
> Please give me some idea. Thank you.

np

Stephen Sprunk

"zaemin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I'm designing streamable animation format like flash.
>
> I have some questions.
>
> My animation format has interactive feature by script. A designer can
> insert 'gotoFrame' action on the first frame to go to the end frame.
> So the player should access data stream randomly(any position of data
> stream at anytime). But in streaming case, the data for the end frame
> may not be in the buffer when the action is performed on the first
> frame. What can I do?
>
> I wonder what the flash does in this case.(Just waiting until the data
> of the end frame is downloaded?)
>
> And does the flash read data stream randomly for interactivity?(like
> me).
>
> Please give me some idea. Thank you.

First, format your file either with fixed-size records or unique markers, or
both, so that a reader seeking randomly in the file will be able to re-sync
with the data.

Second, when reading the file over the network, transfer byte ranges instead
of using one endless read. That way, if you need to seek around in the
file, you can start retrieving a new byte range as soon as the current one
is done, instead of having to download and buffer the entire file before
using it.