Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Default Browser Bug - Mozilla/Firefox

Reply
Thread Tools

Default Browser Bug - Mozilla/Firefox

 
 
Nekromans
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2006
For some reason, Mozilla keeps on insisting it's the default browser. I
keep trying to make FF the browser, because it's much easier to use and
(in my opinion) so much cooler and so on and so forth, but it makes no
difference whatsoever.

Any way to solve this without uninstalling? (Family use Mozilla instead
- won't like it if it disappears.)

Nekromans

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ralph Fox
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2006
On 21 Jul 2006 08:01:41 -0700, in message <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
Nekromans wrote:

> For some reason, Mozilla keeps on insisting it's the default browser. I
> keep trying to make FF the browser, because it's much easier to use and
> (in my opinion) so much cooler and so on and so forth, but it makes no
> difference whatsoever.
>
> Any way to solve this without uninstalling? (Family use Mozilla instead
> - won't like it if it disappears.)



In Mozilla, look at

Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> System

Un-check any boxes which you do not want checked.

If there is more than one Mozilla profile, you will have to
check each and every one of the profiles.


--
Cheers,
Ralph

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ns.html#before

"Curiosity skilled the cat."


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Nekromans
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2006

Ralph Fox a scris:
> On 21 Jul 2006 08:01:41 -0700, in message <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> Nekromans wrote:
>
> > For some reason, Mozilla keeps on insisting it's the default browser. I
> > keep trying to make FF the browser, because it's much easier to use and
> > (in my opinion) so much cooler and so on and so forth, but it makes no
> > difference whatsoever.
> >
> > Any way to solve this without uninstalling? (Family use Mozilla instead
> > - won't like it if it disappears.)

>
>
> In Mozilla, look at
>
> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> System
>
> Un-check any boxes which you do not want checked.
>
> If there is more than one Mozilla profile, you will have to
> check each and every one of the profiles.
>
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Ralph
>
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ns.html#before
>
> "Curiosity skilled the cat."


No good - it changes it back automatically. Damn machine...

However, I was looking through a list of bugs for Mozilla and I found
one that could be potentially useful: if you install the latest Nightly
Build, it forgets that it's the default browser. I'll let you know if
it works.

 
Reply With Quote
 
gwtc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2006
Nekromans wrote:
> Ralph Fox a scris:
>
>>On 21 Jul 2006 08:01:41 -0700, in message <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>>Nekromans wrote:
>>
>>
>>>For some reason, Mozilla keeps on insisting it's the default browser. I
>>>keep trying to make FF the browser, because it's much easier to use and
>>>(in my opinion) so much cooler and so on and so forth, but it makes no
>>>difference whatsoever.
>>>
>>>Any way to solve this without uninstalling? (Family use Mozilla instead
>>>- won't like it if it disappears.)

>>
>>
>>In Mozilla, look at
>>
>> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> System
>>
>>Un-check any boxes which you do not want checked.
>>
>>If there is more than one Mozilla profile, you will have to
>>check each and every one of the profiles.
>>
>>
>>--
>>Cheers,
>>Ralph
>>
>>How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ns.html#before
>>
>>"Curiosity skilled the cat."

>
>
> No good - it changes it back automatically. Damn machine...
>
> However, I was looking through a list of bugs for Mozilla and I found
> one that could be potentially useful: if you install the latest Nightly
> Build, it forgets that it's the default browser. I'll let you know if
> it works.
>

which FF version and which Mozilla version are you using?

--
So, You Think You Know Everything?

Did you know that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ralph Fox
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2006
On 21 Jul 2006 23:06:26 -0700, in message <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Nekromans wrote:

>
> Ralph Fox a scris:


> > In Mozilla, look at
> >
> > Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> System
> >
> > Un-check any boxes which you do not want checked.
> >
> > If there is more than one Mozilla profile, you will have to
> > check each and every one of the profiles.

>
> No good - it changes it back automatically.


Q1. Please clarify

1.1 Automatically after restarting Mozilla?
I.e. when you restart Mozilla and go back to
Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> System
these settings are check-marked again?

1.2 Automatically within the same Mozilla session?
I.e. when you go back to
Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> System
without having closed Mozilla, the settings are
still check-marked?


Q2. In your Mozilla profile directory
[see "http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html"]
is there a file named "user.js" ?


> Damn machine...


> However, I was looking through a list of bugs for Mozilla and I found
> one that could be potentially useful: if you install the latest Nightly
> Build, it forgets that it's the default browser. I'll let you know if
> it works.



--
Cheers,
Ralph
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*bug* *bug* *bug* David Raleigh Arnold Firefox 12 04-02-2007 03:13 AM
default.mspx or default.do micky ASP .Net 1 12-17-2005 12:42 AM
Default Domain Policy vs Default Domain Controller Policy Tyler Cobb MCSE 6 10-19-2005 09:36 PM
Default Mozilla isn't default! Help! M. FERRANTE Firefox 1 07-27-2005 09:07 AM
automatic default route propagation into RIP: default metric Ben Low Cisco 2 12-28-2003 03:57 AM



Advertisments