Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > passing an array as argument

passing an array as argument

Dan Pop

In <(E-Mail Removed) m> "Stephen Sprunk" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>> For a C implementation to qualify as a 64-bit implementation, it needs
>> 64-bit pointers and at least one standard 64-bit integer type. gcc on
>> 64-bit Linux systems has 64-bit pointers and longs (it uses the
>> I32LP64 model, according to a common jargon).

>Would you consider an IP32L64 system as 64-bit?

To the same extent that an IP16L32 system could be considered as 32-bit.

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

Guillaume

>> Engage your brain and explain to the rest of us how can a 4-byte pointer
>> cover a 64-bit address space.

> By using 16-bit bytes, obviously.

Clever.

macluvitch

>That's not a prototype, it's a return statement, and a >broken one at
that.

yo folk what going on with you
I meant by return type the function return type

I think that pointers size in memory has sth with the current os file
system

Keith Thompson

(E-Mail Removed) (Richard Bos) writes:
> "macluvitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]
> > the prototype of my_sort should be sth like
> >
> > return type my_sort (char **ary,.......)

> That's not a prototype, it's a return statement, and a broken one at
> that.

I think "macluvitch" meant the phrase "return type" to stand in for
the return type of the function. It would have been clearer as:

RETURN_TYPE my_sort (char **ary, .......)

(When we see the word "return" in C code or pseudo-code, we naturally
assume that it's the C keyword.)