Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Linux c prog doesn't work on Sun Solaris Machine....?

Linux c prog doesn't work on Sun Solaris Machine....?

Dave

Compiled using g++ on linux and then I tried to execute it on Solaris.
The error message was something like "can't execute a.out"

- works ok on linux
- ran chmod so Sun user has execute/read/etc permissions. chmod u=rwx

Any clues why?
I am new to the non windows world.

Thanks

Karthik

Dave wrote:

> Compiled using g++ on linux and then I tried to execute it on Solaris.
> The error message was something like "can't execute a.out"
>
> - works ok on linux
> - ran chmod so Sun user has execute/read/etc permissions. chmod u=rwx
>
> Any clues why?
> I am new to the non windows world.
>
> Thanks

1) g++ is not a C compiler.
2) This newsgroup is meant only for C language related issues. For
everything else, please consult the appropriate compiler related
newsgroups.

--
Karthik
------

Artie Gold

Dave wrote:
> Compiled using g++ on linux and then I tried to execute it on Solaris.

....which indocates it's a C++ program, making it off topic here.

> The error message was something like "can't execute a.out"

Binaries are not portable.

> - works ok on linux
> - ran chmod so Sun user has execute/read/etc permissions. chmod u=rwx
>
> Any clues why?

Binaries are not portable.
> I am new to the non windows world.

Indeed. Compile it on Solaris -- and if your code is both portable and
correct (i.e. does not invoke undefined behavior), all will be well.

HTH,
--ag

--
Artie Gold -- Austin, Texas

Ben Pfaff

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Dave) writes:

> Compiled using g++ on linux and then I tried to execute it on Solaris.

Your question is outside the domain of comp.lang.c, which discusses
only the standard C programming language, including the standard C
library. This is a remarkably narrow topic compared to what many
people expect.

For your convenience, the list below contains topics that are not
on-topic for comp.lang.c, and suggests newsgroups for you to explore
if you have questions about these topics. Please do observe proper
netiquette before posting to any of these newsgroups. In particular,
you should read the group's charter and FAQ, if any (FAQs are
available from www.faqs.org and other sources). If those fail to
answer your question then you should browse through at least two weeks
of recent articles to make sure that your question has not already
been answered.

* OS-specific questions, such as how to clear the screen,
access the network, list the files in a directory, or read
"piped" output from a subprocess. These questions should be
directed to OS-specific newsgroups, such as
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc, comp.unix.programmer, or
comp.os.linux.development.apps.

* Compiler-specific questions, such as installation issues and
locations of header files. Ask about these in
compiler-specific newsgroups, such as gnu.gcc.help or
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc. Questions about writing
compilers are appropriate in comp.compilers.

* Processor-specific questions, such as questions about
assembly and machine code. x86 questions are appropriate in
comp.lang.asm.x86, embedded system processor questions may
be appropriate in comp.arch.embedded.

* ABI-specific questions, such as how to interface assembly
code to C. These questions are both processor- and
OS-specific and should typically be asked in OS-specific
newsgroups.

* Algorithms, except questions about C implementations of
algorithms. "How do I implement algorithm X in C?" is not a
question about a C implementation of an algorithm, it is a
request for source code. Newsgroups comp.programming and
comp.theory may be appropriate.

* Making C interoperate with other languages. C has no
facilities for such interoperation. These questions should
be directed to system- or compiler-specific newsgroups. C++
has features for interoperating with C, so consider
comp.lang.c++ for such questions.

* The C standard, as opposed to standard C. Questions about
the C standard are best asked in comp.std.c.

* C++. Please do not post or cross-post questions about C++
to comp.lang.c. Ask C++ questions in C++ newsgroups, such
as comp.lang.c++ or comp.lang.c++.moderated.

* Test posts. Please test in a newsgroup meant for testing,
such as alt.test.

news.groups.questions is a good place to ask about the appropriate
newsgroup for a given topic.

--
"...what folly I commit, I dedicate to you."
--William Shakespeare, _Troilus and Cressida_

Darklight

Have you tried compiling the program in solaris
I think is like tring to run a compiled program in linux
on a windows machine it wont work. you have to compile the source
code in each os

John Bode

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Compiled using g++ on linux and then I tried to execute it on Solaris.
> The error message was something like "can't execute a.out"
>
> - works ok on linux
> - ran chmod so Sun user has execute/read/etc permissions. chmod u=rwx
>
> Any clues why?
> I am new to the non windows world.
>
> Thanks

As someone else pointed out, binaries are not portable. Machine code meant
for an x86 architecture will not run on SPARC, and vice-versa. You must
recompile the source code on the target machine, or use a cross-compiler (I
think g++ has an option to generate code for specific architectures other
than the one currently being used, but don't take my word for it).

As others have pointed out, questions about specific implementations of C
are off-topic; this newsgroup is dedicated to questions about the language
itself, not how to make it work on specific hardware.