Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco Pix to Nortel Contivity VPN Tunnel?

Cisco Pix to Nortel Contivity VPN Tunnel?

Michael Ryan

Has anyone had any experience building a branch office VPN tunnel between a
Cisco PIX or Cisco router to a Nortel Contivity VPN gateway?

Jason Kau

Michael Ryan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience building a branch office VPN tunnel between a
> Cisco PIX or Cisco router to a Nortel Contivity VPN gateway?

I've done a VPN tunnel between a PIX and a Nortel Contivity before--but
that was a long time ago so I don't remember the details and I no longer
have a Contivity to play with...

If my memory is right, I did it with pre-shared key, ESP, 3DES, SHA and
everything generally worked--make sure your lifetimes match up on the two
boxes.

--
Jason Kau
http://www.cnd.gatech.edu/~jkau

Michael Ryan

> I've done a VPN tunnel between a PIX and a Nortel Contivity before--but
> that was a long time ago so I don't remember the details and I no longer
> have a Contivity to play with...
>
> If my memory is right, I did it with pre-shared key, ESP, 3DES, SHA and
> everything generally worked--make sure your lifetimes match up on the two
> boxes.
>
> --
> Jason Kau
> http://www.cnd.gatech.edu/~jkau

Great, thanks! Do you think this is possible with just a Cisco router
instead of a PIX, say a 7206 with the right IOS?

Jason Kau

Michael Ryan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I've done a VPN tunnel between a PIX and a Nortel Contivity before--but
>> that was a long time ago so I don't remember the details and I no longer
>> have a Contivity to play with...
>>
>> If my memory is right, I did it with pre-shared key, ESP, 3DES, SHA and
>> everything generally worked--make sure your lifetimes match up on the two
>> boxes.
>>
>> --
>> Jason Kau
>> http://www.cnd.gatech.edu/~jkau

> Great, thanks! Do you think this is possible with just a Cisco router
> instead of a PIX, say a 7206 with the right IOS?

I can't say for sure as I've not done that personally--but I'm sure you
could get it working...

--
Jason Kau
http://www.cnd.gatech.edu/~jkau

Christian Knoblauch

"Michael Ryan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Has anyone had any experience building a branch office VPN tunnel between a
> Cisco PIX or Cisco router to a Nortel Contivity VPN gateway?

hi,
that should work. I did it in out lab 2 years ago, between a pix and a
contivity 600 and a contivity 100. concentrator 3015 and contivity
worked as well. 3des,md5,esp and preshared key.

best
Christian

Michael Ryan

Thanks for everyone's help in this. I'll have an opportunity to try this
out next month at a disaster recovery test.

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...