Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Looking for an intro C programming book?

Looking for an intro C programming book?

TechBookReport

TechBookReport have just published a review of 'C Programming In Easy
Steps', if you're a C beginner looking for an intro book (or an ex-C
developer looking for a quick refresh), ready why this is a book to
consider. Read the review here: http://www.techbookreport.com

pete

TechBookReport wrote:

> TechBookReport have just published a review of 'C Programming In Easy
> Steps', if you're a C beginner looking for an intro book (or an ex-C
> developer looking for a quick refresh), ready why this is a book to
> consider. Read the review here: http://www.techbookreport.com

The "continued" link for "C Programming In Easy Steps",
goes to the wrong URL.

It's supposed to be
http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0065.html
instead of
http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0064.html

--
pete

TechBookReport

"pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> TechBookReport wrote:
> >
> > TechBookReport have just published a review of 'C Programming In Easy
> > Steps', if you're a C beginner looking for an intro book (or an ex-C
> > developer looking for a quick refresh), ready why this is a book to
> > consider. Read the review here: http://www.techbookreport.com

> The "continued" link for "C Programming In Easy Steps",
> goes to the wrong URL.
>
> It's supposed to be
> http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0065.html
> instead of
> http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0064.html
>
> --
> pete

Thanks!! Now corrected.

Richard Heathfield

TechBookReport wrote:

> TechBookReport have just published a review of 'C Programming In Easy
> Steps', if you're a C beginner looking for an intro book (or an ex-C
> developer looking for a quick refresh), ready why this is a book to
> consider.

What advantages does it have over, say, "C Programming: A Modern Approach",
or "The C Programming Language", or "C: How to Program"? And in what ways
is it /inferior/ to those books?

--
Richard Heathfield : http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Richard Bos

"TechBookReport" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Richard Heathfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4035acef$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > TechBookReport wrote:
> >
> > > TechBookReport have just published a review of 'C Programming In Easy
> > > Steps',

> > What advantages does it have over, say, "C Programming: A Modern Approach",
> > or "The C Programming Language", or "C: How to Program"? And in what ways
> > is it /inferior/ to those books?

> K&R is more suited to experienced programmers, it's certainly not a book for
> the absolute beginner, IMHO.

_C_ is not suitable for the absolute beginner. K&R is perfect for
someone who can already program, but does not yet know C.

Richard

TechBookReport

"Richard Heathfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4035acef$(E-Mail Removed)...
> TechBookReport wrote:
>
> > TechBookReport have just published a review of 'C Programming In Easy
> > Steps', if you're a C beginner looking for an intro book (or an ex-C
> > developer looking for a quick refresh), ready why this is a book to
> > consider.

> What advantages does it have over, say, "C Programming: A Modern

Approach",
> or "The C Programming Language", or "C: How to Program"? And in what ways
> is it /inferior/ to those books?
>
> --
> Richard Heathfield : (E-Mail Removed)
> "Usenet is a strange place." - Dennis M Ritchie, 29 July 1999.
> C FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
> K&R answers, C books, etc: http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton

K&R is more suited to experienced programmers, it's certainly not a book for
the absolute beginner, IMHO.

'C: How To Program' has a much wider scope, and also includes more
introductory programming material (i.e. the core principles of structured
programming). It also covers some of the more advanced material that is
missing from 'C Programming In Easy Steps'. As the review states, this is a
book that focuses on syntax and uses very small examples programs to
illustrate that.

Can't comment on 'C: Programming A Modern Approach', unfortunately.

HTH

Pan
TechBookReport: http://www.techbookreport.com

Richard Heathfield

TechBookReport wrote:

> "Richard Heathfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4035acef$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> TechBookReport wrote:
>>
>> > TechBookReport have just published a review of 'C Programming In Easy
>> > Steps', if you're a C beginner looking for an intro book (or an ex-C
>> > developer looking for a quick refresh), ready why this is a book to
>> > consider.

>> What advantages does it have over, say, "C Programming: A Modern

> Approach",
>> or "The C Programming Language", or "C: How to Program"? And in what ways
>> is it /inferior/ to those books?
>>

> K&R is more suited to experienced programmers, it's certainly not a book
> for the absolute beginner, IMHO.

It's fine for those beginning C, if they already know how to program. Your
review states (IIRC) that the book you mention doesn't bother with all the
preamble about how to program, but gets straight into C syntax. So it seems
that the two books address the same audience - those who already know how
to program but don't know C.

So - why should people buy this book rather than K&R?

--
Richard Heathfield : (E-Mail Removed)

Peter Nilsson

"Richard Heathfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> TechBookReport wrote:
> > "Richard Heathfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:4035acef$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> What advantages does it have over, say, "C Programming: A Modern
> >> Approach", or "The C Programming Language", or "C: How to Program"?
> >> And in what ways is it /inferior/ to those books?
> >>

> > K&R is more suited to experienced programmers, it's certainly not a book
> > for the absolute beginner, IMHO.

> It's fine for those beginning C, if they already know how to program. Your
> review states (IIRC) that the book you mention doesn't bother with all the
> preamble about how to program, but gets straight into C syntax. So it
> seems that the two books address the same audience - those who already
> know how to program but don't know C.
>
> So - why should people buy this book rather than K&R?

It may not be possible for a single book reviewer to answer that. No book
will cater for _all_ learning styles. K&R2 was/is well written from my
perspective, but I've known plenty of fellow students who found it a rather
'dry' read, far too concise, and hence not conducive to their needs.

Millage can and does vary amongst individuals.

Note that there is another review of this book at ACCU...

http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/publ.../c/c003350.htm

....which points out that it specifically targets Windows and Linux users.
Although it claims ANSI C conformance, it seems to have some serious issues
in that regard. The closing paragraph is perhaps significant.

--
Peter