Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > writing program from a book

writing program from a book

Joona I Palaste

David Combs <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled the following
on comp.lang.c:
> In article <FMXRb.130665$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Nick Landsberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>This isn't right.
>>
>>This isn't even wrong!

> Super quote!

> What physicsist was it who originally said it?

Wolfgang Pauli.

"A bicycle cannot stand up by itself because it's two-tyred."
- Sky Text

Nick Landsberg

David Combs wrote:

> In article <FMXRb.130665$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Nick Landsberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>This isn't right.
>>
>>This isn't even wrong!

> Super quote!
>
> What physicsist was it who originally said it?
>
> David

It could have been Fermi, but I'm not sure.

--

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so
ingenious" - A. Bloch

Keith Thompson

Nick Landsberg <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> David Combs wrote:
> > In article <FMXRb.130665$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Nick Landsberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>This isn't right.
> >>
> >>This isn't even wrong!

> > Super quote!
> > What physicsist was it who originally said it?
> > David

> It could have been Fermi, but I'm not sure.

If you put it that way, it could have been Heisenberg. }

(Most of the Google reference to the quote credit it to Pauli.)

Beardy

David Combs wrote:
> In article <FMXRb.130665$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Nick Landsberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>This isn't right.
>>
>>This isn't even wrong!

> Super quote!
>
> What physicsist was it who originally said it?
>
> David

Most physicists would not call themselves "physicsists"

And do physicists with tumours call themselves physicysts?

Allin Cottrell

Beardy wrote:

>> What physicsist was it who originally said it?
>>
>> David
>>

> Most physicists would not call themselves "physicsists"
>
> And do physicists with tumours call themselves physicysts?

Only those with a sense of tumour.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

Sean Burke

Allin Cottrell <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Beardy wrote:
>

> >> What physicsist was it who originally said it?
> >>
> >> David
> >>

> > Most physicists would not call themselves "physicsists"
> >
> > And do physicists with tumours call themselves physicysts?

> Only those with a sense of tumour.

I admire your courage in posting this type of off-topic banter
to c.l.c. They should be releasing the hounds any time now. ;->

-SEan

Richard Heathfield

Sean Burke wrote:

> Allin Cottrell <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>> > Most physicists would not call themselves "physicsists"
>> >
>> > And do physicists with tumours call themselves physicysts?

>> Only those with a sense of tumour.

> I admire your courage in posting this type of off-topic banter
> to c.l.c. They should be releasing the hounds any time now. ;->

We tend to be a bit more forgiving when the banter (a) arose out of a
topical discussion and (b) is genuinely interesting or amusing. The current
banter appears to qualify on both counts. (BTW my (a) and (b) are based on
my own interpretations of when OT banter is tolerated, and should not be
regarded as definitive.)

This subthread cannot be relevant anywhere but comp.lang.c. Followups set.

--
Richard Heathfield : (E-Mail Removed)

Dan Pop

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Sean Burke wrote:
>

>> Allin Cottrell <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> Only those with a sense of tumour.

>> I admire your courage in posting this type of off-topic banter
>> to c.l.c. They should be releasing the hounds any time now. ;->

>We tend to be a bit more forgiving when the banter (a) arose out of a
>topical discussion and (b) is genuinely interesting or amusing. The current
>banter appears to qualify on both counts. (BTW my (a) and (b) are based on
>my own interpretations of when OT banter is tolerated, and should not be
>regarded as definitive.)

For the record, I agree with Richard's interpretation. Inserting an [OT]
tag in the subject line at some point wouldn't have hurt, but even
without it this kind of topic drift is perfectly OK.

And now, since we're discussing topicality, we're topical again, so there
no point in inserting the [OT] tag

Dan

PS But I should have changed the subject line...
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group