Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Monitoring a network using a Catalyst 2950(EI) and PIX 515E

Monitoring a network using a Catalyst 2950(EI) and PIX 515E

Rob Hulme

Hi,

I'm setting up a network using a PIX 515E firewall and a Catalyst 2950
(Enhanced Image).

I know that the 2950 supports SNMP and RMON, and I was wondering how
hard it would be to use these to get statistics / graphs on the
network utilisation in real time and historically.

I'd specifically like to be able to see how much bandwidth is being
consumed filtered by IP / port / etc.

The equipment will be colocated so I will need to be able to monitor
them remotely.

I know little about this area, so any assistance you can give would be
helpful

I suppose I'm looking for some kind of client that supports RMON.
Ideally a free / open source Win32 client.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

-Rob

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Rob Hulme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I'm setting up a network using a PIX 515E firewall and a Catalyst 2950
Enhanced Image).

:I know that the 2950 supports SNMP and RMON, and I was wondering how
:hard it would be to use these to get statistics / graphs on the
:network utilisation in real time and historically.

mrtg

:I suppose I'm looking for some kind of client that supports RMON.
:Ideally a free / open source Win32 client.

I think mrtg is written in perl, so you could load in ActiveState perl
and run mrtg.
--
"The human genome is powerless in the face of chocolate."
-- Dr. Adam Drewnowski