Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Need to Improve my skill set in C

Need to Improve my skill set in C

Anand

Hi

Iam keen interested to improve my skills in c programming. Now Iam familiar
with all the syntax and concepts. My main idea is to know how entire c compiler
behaves in all circumstances(i.e for all kind of programs). Also I want the
"Tips and Tracks" of C. With this current knowledge how can I improve my skills.
Is there any speical book to develop these attitudes? Can anyone help me !

Regards,
Anand.

Morris Dovey

Anand wrote:

> I am keen interested to improve my skills in c programming.
> Now I am familiar with all the syntax and concepts. My main
> idea is to know how entire c compiler behaves in all
> circumstances(i.e for all kind of programs). Also I want the
> "Tips and Tracks" of C. With this current knowledge how can I
> improve my skills. Is there any speical book to develop these
> attitudes? Can anyone help me !

Anand...

There is such a book. If you follow the link in my sig, you will
find a link to the ANSI web store where you can purchase (for
US$1 and download the ISO C language specification. That
document provides the information you seek; and provides
information about when code written with valid syntax does and
does not provide guaranteed behavior when compiled with
conforming implementations.

In addition to acquiring a detailed knowledge of the language as
defined by the standard document, you can best help yourself by
personal involvement in the use of the language - design, write,
and debug C programs; engage in discussion with other C
programmers; and later help others to learn what you have learned
(which will probably be one of /your/ best learning experiences.)

--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA

E. Robert Tisdale

Anand wrote:

> I am interested in improving my C programming skills.
> Now that I am familiar with all the syntax and concepts,
> my main idea is to know how entire C compiler behaves
> in all circumstances(i.e for all kind of programs).
> Also I want the "Tips and Tr[i]cks" of C programming.

Probably *not* a good idea.

> With this current knowledge, how can I improve my skills.
> Is there any special book to develop these attitudes?
> Can anyone help me!

Usually, the next step is to get a good grounding in
"Data Structures and Algorithms".
You can find lots of good books at

http://www.amazon.com/

Just search for

"Data Structures and Algorithms"

I found lots of good stuff including

Data Structures, Algorithms, and Software Principles in C
by Thomas A. Standish (Author)

(This is just an example and *not* a recommendation.)

Darrell Grainger

On Sun, 10 Jan 2004, Anand wrote:

> Hi
>
> Iam keen interested to improve my skills in c programming. Now Iam
> familiar with all the syntax and concepts. My main idea is to know how
> entire c compiler behaves in all circumstances(i.e for all kind of
> programs). Also I want the "Tips and Tracks" of C. With this current
> knowledge how can I improve my skills. Is there any speical book to
> develop these attitudes? Can anyone help me !

First, the comp.lang.c newsgroup has a FAQ. It is located at
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html. Have a look at the FAQ and try
to understand everything in it. If you can understand everything in the FAQ
you are off to a good start.

Second, ISO/ANSI have a standard publication on C. If you go to the ANSI
web store you can purchase the standard for $18 as a PDF. There are also
drafts available for free. A draft isn't quite the same as the standard but
it is close. Search comp.lang.c (via www.google.com) for n869 and you
should be able to find a link to the last draft.

Reading the standard might not be the best thing but if you can read and
understand it, you will learn a lot.

Third, get a good book on programming/computer science. When you read the
FAQ there should be some guides to what books you want to read. You can
also search the newsgroup for recommendations.

Finally, there are books on tips, tricks and pitfalls for C language.
Andrew Koenig published C Traps and Pitfalls. This has a lot of the common
mistakes a new programmer will make.

Don't send e-mail to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Improve ruby skill Thiago Massa Ruby 2 01-11-2011 10:55 PM
What's a reasonable web programmer skill set? Mike Silva HTML 7 03-08-2009 06:22 PM
skill set.... XPD NZ Computing 5 11-29-2007 10:10 AM
How to improve C skill? weidongtom@gmail.com C Programming 15 05-11-2007 06:39 AM

Advertisments