Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO a program in windows2000/xp platform?

How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO a program in windows2000/xp platform?

Coca

HI, all

How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO windows2000/xp
platform.

The program occurs a lot of errors in Windows 2000/xp when compiled.
And I hope a quick way to solve it, not read the code line by line.

Thank you very much
Coca

Sidney Cadot

Coca wrote:

> HI, all
>
> How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO windows2000/xp
> platform.

You question is off-topic here, since this newsgroup only deals with
non-platform-specific C questions. Here's a link providing some
topicality guidance, as well as some links to newsgroups that may be
better suited for providing help:

http://www.msu.edu/~pfaffben/writing...off-topic.html

Best regards,

Sidney

Kevin Goodsell

Coca wrote:
> HI, all
>
> How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO windows2000/xp
> platform.
>
> The program occurs a lot of errors in Windows 2000/xp when compiled.
> And I hope a quick way to solve it, not read the code line by line.
>
> Thank you very much
> Coca

I am unable to locate a question or issue relating to the C language in
your post. Are you sure you have the right group? Questions about
particular C implementations or particular programs are off-topic here.

-Kevin

Martin Ambuhl

Coca wrote:
> HI, all
>
> How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO windows2000/xp
> platform.
>
> The program occurs a lot of errors in Windows 2000/xp when compiled.
> And I hope a quick way to solve it, not read the code line by line.

You need a more specific question than that. If there are C issues, we can
address them here, but we need to know /what/ we are addressing first. If
there are OS/2-specific functions that are giving you a problem, I'm afraid
you will need to go elsewhere to find what to do about porting your
programs, since none of OS/2 or Windows 2000 or Windows XP functionality is
part of the C programming language.

--
Martin Ambuhl

Randy Howard

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> HI, all
>
> How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO windows2000/xp
> platform.
>
> The program occurs a lot of errors in Windows 2000/xp when compiled.
> And I hope a quick way to solve it, not read the code line by line.
>
> Thank you very much
> Coca

Add a line after line 105 in the first source file (alphabetically,
case insensitive) in the project that says:

/* Compiler, please don't fail me know */

Then recompile. Tada!

--
Randy Howard
2reply remove FOOBAR

Christopher Benson-Manica

Randy Howard <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke thus:

> /* Compiler, please don't fail me know */

^^^^

Syntax error for strict Queen's English compilers, although yours may
support this nonstandard extension. Also presumes that your compiler
is your friend and not your enemy.

Joona I Palaste

Coca <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled the following:
> HI, all

> How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO windows2000/xp
> platform.

> The program occurs a lot of errors in Windows 2000/xp when compiled.
> And I hope a quick way to solve it, not read the code line by line.

Then you're pretty much screwed. There isn't yet an automated tool that
would translate any platform-specific code into any other platform-
specific code.
I would suggest you go over your code and note down the OS/2-specific
parts, find out from the OS/2 API what they mean, try to find similar
parts in the Win2000/XP API, and use them. It will probably take from
a few days to several months, possibly years, depending on how big
your program is. If you can't do it by yourself, hire a consultant.
$500 will probably get the guy (or girl) to talk to you. With any luck
you'll have change left over from $20,000 when the job is done.
What, you were expecting a genie in a bottle?

"A bee could, in effect, gather its junk. Llamas (no poor quadripeds) tune
and vow excitedly zooming."
- JIPsoft

Kevin Goodsell

Joona I Palaste wrote:

> Coca <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled the following:
>
>>The program occurs a lot of errors in Windows 2000/xp when compiled.
>>And I hope a quick way to solve it, not read the code line by line.

> Then you're pretty much screwed. There isn't yet an automated tool that
> would translate any platform-specific code into any other platform-
> specific code.
> I would suggest you go over your code and note down the OS/2-specific
> parts, find out from the OS/2 API what they mean, try to find similar
> parts in the Win2000/XP API, and use them. It will probably take from
> a few days to several months, possibly years, depending on how big
> your program is. If you can't do it by yourself, hire a consultant.
> $500 will probably get the guy (or girl) to talk to you. With any luck
> you'll have change left over from $20,000 when the job is done.
> What, you were expecting a genie in a bottle?

I knew there was a reason that we're so interested in portability.

"portability often pays off in unexpected ways." --Dennis Ritchie

-Kevin

Randy Howard

In article <btepab$rnp$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Randy Howard <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke thus:
>
> > /* Compiler, please don't fail me know */

> ^^^^
>
> Syntax error for strict Queen's English compilers,

Ack... isn't that always the way?

--
Randy Howard
2reply remove FOOBAR

CBFalconer

Coca wrote:

> How can I convert the C6.0 program of OS/2 platform TO
> windows2000/xp platform.
>
> The program occurs a lot of errors in Windows 2000/xp when compiled.
> And I hope a quick way to solve it, not read the code line by line.

On your OS/2 platform, install gcc.

For each file, compile with:

gcc -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic -O1 -c filename.c

Correct the first error.
If unable because of some non-standard usage, move the function
to another file.
Repeat until no errors.

When done, check that by adding the non-standard file to the
system you can recreate the original system.

Now think of ways to implement that non-standard file.