Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 802.11b/g extenders

802.11b/g extenders

Brian Bergin

Anyone used one of the external antennae that supposedly allow a simple Linksys
WAP11 and other 802.11b/g devices extended range from building to building? If
so, can you recommend one?

Thanks...
Brian Bergin

I can be reached via e-mail at
cisco_dot_news_at_comcept_dot_net.

Please post replies to the group so all may benefit.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Brian Bergin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Anyone used one of the external antennae that supposedly allow a simple Linksys
:WAP11 and other 802.11b/g devices extended range from building to building? If
:so, can you recommend one?

Your domain is in the USA. That being the case, you can run into
legal difficulties if you use an antenna that was not designed for
use with your WAP11 and officially tested in combination with the WAP11.
On the practical side, watch out for connector mismatches -- FCC
regulations require that the antenna connectors deliberately be
unique or hard to get.

In practice, I suspect you would not run into problems if your
combination was strictly within the 1 Watt EIRP limit of the USA.

Wireless questions are often better put to alt.internet.wireless .

--
Sub-millibarn resolution bio-hyperdimensional plasmatic space
polyimaging is just around the corner. -- Corry Lee Smith

Richard R. Field

I think he was talking about this...

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=38&prid=548

news:bukde9$mek$(E-Mail Removed)...

In article <IOkPb.110965$na.99699@attbi_s04>,
Richard R. Field <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I think he was talking about this...

:http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=38&prid=548

Well, maybe, but he asked about 'building to building', which the
WSB aren't marketed for. The WSB just push up the signal level using
the same omnis (and do some amplification on incoming signals);
for building-to-building you are better off going with a more
directional antenna.
--
WW{Backus,Church,Dijkstra,Knuth,Hollerith,Turing,v onNeumann}D ?

Brian Bergin

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote:

|Well, maybe, but he asked about 'building to building', which the
|WSB aren't marketed for. The WSB just push up the signal level using
|the same omnis (and do some amplification on incoming signals);
|for building-to-building you are better off going with a more
|directional antenna.

What about products like these the HD19697 on http://www.hdcom.com/links.html
(towards the bottom)? Honestly, I only need to go about 100' from one bundling
to the next. The landlord won't allow us to run fibre under the parking lot and
local regulations prohibit overhead wires for this site. The landlord is the
real problem here, he's being unreasonable as we're willing to pay to have the
conduit run and fix the pavement but he's not budging so wireless is our only
solution at this point. BTW, we only need about 3Mb/sec for the "remote"
building because all it needs is the ability to run TS sessions over an Internet
connection via cable modem that's in the primary location that's limited to
3Mb/sec down anyway. We're using Linksys WAP11's right now but from inside to
inside (there is concrete block between them on both sides) isn't cutting it.

Thanks...

Thanks...
Brian Bergin

I can be reached via e-mail at
cisco_dot_news_at_comcept_dot_net.

Please post replies to the group so all may benefit.

Brian Bergin

(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote:

|In article <IOkPb.110965$na.99699@attbi_s04>,
|Richard R. Field <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|:I think he was talking about this...
|
|:http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=38&prid=548
|
|Well, maybe, but he asked about 'building to building', which the
|WSB aren't marketed for. The WSB just push up the signal level using
|the same omnis (and do some amplification on incoming signals);
|for building-to-building you are better off going with a more
|directional antenna.

BTW, the links on http://www.hdcom.com/links.htm for HD19697 say they only do
14dBi gain which is what the Linksys booster does. Wouldn't that make these ok?
Whom would I contact to find out, FCC? I'm not sure I trust what a vendor would
say when trying to sell me a product?

BTW, I appreciate your responses. I'll also try posting in the other group
recommended by Walter.